Adding fermentables to fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oooFishy

Reaction score
On Friday I brewed a big IPA and missed my target grav by about 8 GU. The primary fermentation is starting to slow down right now. Will I be OK if I boil some DME in water and add it to the secondary when I rack? Or should I toss it in now with the primary for another couple of days?

I would just let it ride and have a bit lower ABV. I personally wouldn't want the addition of extra regular DME to influence my overall flavor profile... Although I can't really state how much it would influence the beer overall.

If you have the room in the fermenter, add it now. Although, I wouldn't worry about 8 points myself.

if you add it to the secondary, its not secondary, its primary, and you'd have to rack again once it finished.

I wouldn't worry about 8 points. i'd figure out if you had lower efficiency or too much water added that caused the discrepancy, and correct it the next time you brew.

a great brewer, in my opinion, is a consistent brewer, not a person that constantly "corrects" gravities.

how many AG batches have you done? how well do you know your setup and its efficiency?

Back