Sam Calagione speaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsg02

Reaction score
I just wanted to share this with everyone on here. I did a search to see if it had been posted and didn't find it. It is Sam speaking at Google about his business a little and about beer a lot. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the video, it's a nice comprehensive history of some of the things he's said in other speeches and what he says in his books. I still like to hear his stories over again. I really can't stand the DFH Midas Touch beer, but I love that story!

Is he always that *****ey? I thought it was just hype for the show. I could only stand watching this for a few minutes before it just boiled into him telling stories about how awesome he thinks he is.

He talks a lot about how innovative and non-traditional he is, but it's not like there weren't IPAs prior to DFH. (BTW - "...continential styles like from England..." um, England is not on the continent, and if you're going to talk about breweries doing English styles, you might want to realize IPAs are also English beers.)

I don't think he's *****ey. I think he loves what he does and he believes in himself. There's nothing wrong with that. I can see how it could be taken in the *****ey direction, but I don't really feel that way about him.

Yeah, I just think he's excited. He isn't talking about how he invented the IPA or anything, most of the innovative beers he discusses are recipes he invents or styles and recipes he brings from all over the world, making them available to people in retail. I'm not a fan of a lot of DFH beers but I respect the effort he puts into his work and the positive attitude he has about it all.

I've seen this video before. I like Sam and DFH but I'd like to see some more breweries. Unfortunately, since Google bought out youtube they put a ton of ads and the only reason they allowed such a long clip is because Sam went to Google for their employees. Maybe some other breweries will go to Google and give them free beer so they will put up more full brewery videos.

I've seen this video before. I like Sam and DFH but I'd like to see some more breweries. Unfortunately, since Google bought out youtube they put a ton of ads and the only reason they allowed such a long clip is because Sam went to Google for their employees. Maybe some other breweries will go to Google and give them free beer so they will put up more full brewery videos.

Guh?

There are other long clips on youtube that are unrelated to google.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guh?

There are other long clips on youtube that are unrelated to google.

Yup. The default cap is 15 minutes, but you can earn the right to post longer vids. Many folk have no length limit now. You have to have a track-record of complying with youtube community rules and copyright compliance.

I very much enjoyed watching this. I can see how you would be able to consider him a bit *****ey but he articulates well and has good things to say.

I also like the video... I agree working for Sam would be an adventure, unlike the daily boredom of work that many of us suffer. He's a bit "out there" at times which could turn off some of the peeps here... but I'd much rather be around someone like that than the corpse of a boss I have right now! :rockin:

I'm done.

KC :)

Back