Should I keep this cheap turkey fryer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilhomer

Reaction score
Found a new in the box turkey fryer on craigslist and bought it. Brand is Northeast Outfitters, I believe that's Dicks Sporting Goods generic brand.

There's no model number anywhere and the manual is useless but the box claims it has a max output of 142,800 btu. The stand seems pretty sturdy, I could probably stand on it. 26qt pot seems to be the standard cheap thin one that comes with these.

I see people suggest ditching these pots. Why is that? Poor heat retention, afraid the handles will fall off?

I have a good restaurant supply store here, should I keep the burner and look into a new pot? I could probably re craigslist it and get my money back, $30.

plenty of people use a standard turkey fryer for their brews pot and all..
depends on what you are asking the rig to do. if your planning to do extract with steeping grains your all set.. the pots are generally thin so with lifting and pouring after a while the handles may crack, also the bottoms are thin so without alot of stirring you may scorch some. this being said i started out using a super thin stainless pot and never had a problem, and many people use the cheap turkey sets without any problems. use it and upgrade how you see fit down the road. beer making can be as simple or extravagant as you want it to be.

For now I'm just looking to move to a partial mash. I've been boiling 3 gallons at a time on my electric flat top and have been wanting to boil at least 4 gallons at once.

You'll get plenty of uses out of it. I would keep it.

Also keep an eye out for sales after Thanksgiving. You may find a nice heavy-duty fryer for the same price.

Keep it! I have an old aluminum one that I brewed at a friends house with once and it turned yellow. His water had sulfur in it (well water) and all of the pits turned yellow. The pot was shot anyway but the moral of the story is that it makes a great container for a carboy. I sit the carboy down in the pot and voila a carrying apparatus that protects and shades the sun from my delicious brew. Mine fit perfectly.

Back