A-B CompactLogix PLC and modules. Need Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I have available an Allen Bradley CompactLogix PLC and several input/output modules (Analog and Digital). I am quite familiar with Automated Controls as I work with them on a daily basis, however, i do not have the RSlogix 500 software available to me to use the items above. I want to put together an automated system, but without the PLC software, I can't use the equipment.

Does anyone know of a company that offers compatable software for the A-B equipment that can be purchased relatively inexpensively? My panel is already assembled with the plc, power supply, modules and terminal strips for the inputs, outputs and power source. I am planning on using a laptop as my operator interface and will have it on a network that I can use to monitor the operations from different locations in my home if necessary.

A-B's software cost is prohibitive for small applications such as this and I know I can purchase a plc with software fairly cheaply to do what I want, but since I already have all of the stuff I need, I was hoping to locate a source for some type of shareware or other operator software at a modest price.

Appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Salute! :mug:

Here is a link to a program on Source forge http://sourceforge.net/projects/abdf1/ that might be a starting point. It may not have to much functionality but is a starting place. I might be able to adapt the communications driver in my software to work with your hardware if this is not capable of doing what you need.

I will look at the link this evening when I get home from work. I appreciate your input.

Here is a link to a program on Source forge http://sourceforge.net/projects/abdf1/ that might be a starting point. It may not have to much functionality but is a starting place. I might be able to adapt the communications driver in my software to work with your hardware if this is not capable of doing what you need.

I guess I'm not seeing how that will work as it looks like all it does is give you the ability to upload\download programs and change values of registers that are already in the program on the PLC. It doesn't allow you to see the logic and change rungs, create tags, etc.

I plan on doing something similar down the road with probably a MicroLogix. The company I work for is a Rockwell Solution Provider and we have numerous (i think about 45) licenses for each of Rockwell's products. So I'm set on the programming software...I just need some hardware. Wanna sell yours? :cross:

I too managed to scround an on micrologix form work and have the software on my work laptop but haven't gotten around to using it for anything. It seems like over kill I guess, but maybe someday.
It may be a work around but come out cheaper. Lots of colleges offer software packages like this at extreme discounts to students. It may be worth the cost to sign up for one class or what ever is needed to get the discount, then just buy the software and drop the classes. Possibly in time for a full refund for your registration. It's up to you on the 'morality' involved, but....if it saves a couple grand!

I teach automated controls for a local union here in Pittsburgh, so I can probably have the software provided as part of one of my classes. I have made quite a few search attempts to find an alternative to the RSLogix 5000 software, but most responses indicate it is not worth the time and effort to try and make it work.

Guess I just need to get the union to purchase the software for me.

Latest posts

Back