Your Favorite Overlooked Beer Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geackdailey

Reaction score
So what are your favorite beers to drink that you cannot or rarely can find commercially? Or just can't find good ones.
Maybe recipes also?
Mine:
1) IPA (just kidding)
1 for real) brown ale
2) American Lager
3) American Ale

Berliner Weisse, drinkin' one right now that I picked up in Berlin, but I don't know where else to find one.

English Mild

My only wish is to find some bar/brewpub that has one on cask sometime in my life.

I wish there were more commercially available berlinerweiss beers too. What a nice light refreshing beer. I really like all sours, but the rest have their own niche following.

Old ale / strong english ale.......I will SO miss my Fuller's 1845 when the last case is gone. Good thing I have a clone recipe ready to go :)

Altbier, not many good ones out there.

I agree. Not many out there, and if there are, they ain't around these parts.

I'll also add dunkelweisen. I had my first one in the Secret Santa swap and I can't seem to find any for sale around here.

I'll also add dunkelweisen. I had my first one in the Secret Santa swap and I can't seem to find any for sale around here.

I am finding Franziskaner dunkel at my lil beer store... mighty tasty in my opinion... not cheap, but cheaper than many of the Good west coast beers...

Not to be nitpicky but, Budweiser is neither good nor an ale.

He was referring to Budweiser's American Ale. It's actually a pretty good beer, for BMC, IMHO.

I'd like to see more Barleywines available on the shelf. Also, I tried Schneider and Sohn's Aventinus, and loved it. I'd love to see more Wheat Dopplebock's like that as well.

1: Doppelbock
2: Scotch Ale
3: Sweet Stout
4: Real Bavarian Edeldunkel

Numbers 1, 2 & 3 are tough to come by here, but every once in a while I can get my hands on one or another. The edeldunkel is IMPOSSIBLE to get here.

For those who are missing Alt. Southampton Publick House makes a pretty tasty one - probably tough to get outside of the NY area though.

1- Gueuze Lambic (really have to go out of your way to find it. Lindemann's sweet fruity lambics are omnipresent though... go figure). Even on these boards, Flanders red and other sours get more attention.

That's it for me. Benefit of living in NYC is I can find pretty much anything on tap at one of the better bars in town. From English cask ales to Oktoberfest sized mugs of <insert unpronouncable German name here>. Of course, the price to pay is living in a cramped overpriced apartment where I can barely fit my one BetterBottle and a few cases of beer...

He was referring to Budweiser's American Ale. It's actually a pretty good beer, for BMC, IMHO.

I'd like to see more Barleywines available on the shelf. Also, I tried Schneider and Sohn's Aventinus, and loved it. I'd love to see more Wheat Dopplebock's like that as well.

I agree about the American Ale. It's really not bad at all.

I'll also agree that I'd like to see more barleywines and dopplebocks. And I know it's a common beer across the pond, but I really wish we had more commercially-available ESBs.

I have great bottle shops in the Detroit area, so I can find just about any style of beer I want, just often in limited brands. I would love to get some regional ones that aren't available in Michigan. Like New Glarus, and the canned beer from Hawaii (I think it's maui brewing company.)

Overlooked beer style that I would like to see more of? Vienna Lagers, there's a couple micro versions available, like Great Lake's Elliot Ness, and Trader Joe's Amber Lager.

Also I'd like to see more swartzbiers, and micro cream ales.

In fact are there any commercially available swartzbiers?

For those who are missing Alt. Southampton Publick House makes a pretty tasty one - probably tough to get outside of the NY area though.

Agreed! It is the most authentic tasting I've found. The rest of the domestic ones I've tried have been dissapointing. Many were decent beers, but I wouldn't have called them Alts - more likely Ambers or Brown ales.

Oh yeah I guess I have seen that in the shops....Have you tried it?

I guess Sam Adams Black Lager would be another? Haven't tried it myself.

I did recently try Magic Hat's Howl, which is a limited release schwarzbier-style black lager.

I don't know if either of these are proper examples of the schwarzbier-style, but they're the closest thing I've had to one.

English Mild

My only wish is to find some bar/brewpub that has one on cask sometime in my life.

I am right with you on this one. I have never tried one, but brewed a few off what I read. If like most beers, and the commercial versions can be better than mine, I really want to give one a try.

The only thing I have to go off of is one of my buddies who spent a good deal of time in England saying mine was "pretty similar." I asked him how close to one straight from the cask and he laughed.

I would love to find some, then tweak my own recipe.

Back