Forced Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckollias

Reaction score
I read online that once you rack your beer in to a corny keg, that you should connect your gas line to the "black liquid out disconnect" to make the CO2 bubble up through your beer.

Is the right way to force carbonate beer, or should I just connect my gas line to the "gas in disconnect"? Or does it not make a difference either way?

I've tried it both ways. First, you should chill your beer. Warm beer does not absorb CO2 fast enough to make a difference. If you want to bubble some CO2 up through the beer you can, but I've never noticed it makes much of a difference. I just hook it up to the Gas-in disconnect, set it at about 30-35 psi, and wait 7-10 days. If you want to speed it up, chill your beer, hook your CO2 to the beer-out disconnect, and shake the living daylights out of the keg. Set your pressure to 7 psi, chill your beer to 36, and shake until you achieve equilibrium, or until you no longer hear gas flowing into the beer.

Then pour yourself a homebrew, because you're gonna need one.

If you've got pin-lock kegs you can't connect the gas to the out and if you've got ball-lock it won't make much difference anyway. If you are in a hurry, just shake, shake, shake.

This thread doesn't belong here, but if it did, i would say to "set it and forget it". If you are going to wait 7-10 days anyways, might as well not mess with high pressures like 35 psi.

I just set mine to 10 psi (dispensing pressure) and forget about the keg for 10-14 days.

This has the added advantage of giving the beer time to condition. beer needs time to reach its full potential

I've always hooked the gas out the gas in post and upped in to 30 PSI. At this point purge out the o2 and then shake the keg a few times during the next 24 hours. Usually It is ready to drink within 1-2 days.

Back