bottling at cool temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilbo

Reaction score
I don't have an area where I can be sure of good bottling temps (+70 deg). The basement is in the 50s, the house/living area drops to the 50s at nite.
So if I make a container that will reside in the basement, and use a 100w light, will this be sufficient to raise this small area to a good bottling temp? Do I have to worry about the light itself effecting the beer?

The light wouldn't be great for the beer.

I'm bottling during this winter in the 50s, though, and having no problems at all.

I'd probably just raise them up off the floor and onto a shelf. Heat rises, so raise them up as high as you can. It might take an extra week or two for your bottles to completely carb up but they'll be fine.

Actually if it's in the 50's the beers might never carb. Low 50's are usually around the temps that yeast go dormant and flocullate, if that's the case, then sleeping yeast aren't going to do the job for you.

You need to raise the temp some how. One way would be to put the beer cases in a sleeping bag and pointing a space heater at them.

If you're going to use a lightbulb, make a paint can heater.

fermentation_heater_parts.jpg

fermentation_heater_final_step.jpg

That way except for a couple vent holes on the can somewhere, little light will actually escape. Put that into a box with the bottles.

Instructions here.

Latest posts

Back