To Heat or not to Heat...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heat or no Heat

• Heat

• No Heat

Results are only viewable after voting.

JustinCider

Reaction score
Many times here i have seen people taken to task (myself included) about heating their honey, yet in many of the recipes in the database i see people telling you to use heat. What gives? Are they old school recipes that the owner hasn't updated to new ways of thinking?

Heat or no Heat...that is the question. :fro::D:mug:

From what I have gathered; as long as you pay attention to your sterilization there is no need to heat the honey.

I think like many things, cooking alters/reduces flavours. In the case of honey it takes away some of the more subtle aromatics. It also adds an entirely unnecessary step to the process.

In the case of melomels it sets pectins and makes them hazy.

I don't heat persay. I do set it in the sink full of warm water to help it flow better then it get mixed with a bit of warm water. I guess heating the honey is relative term.

The heating of the honey and actually boiling had to do more with a way to remove impurities from raw honey. It is still a preferred method by many, plus some say this method reduces aging time. At least that is what I hace picked up along the way. Personally, I heat my water and dissolve my honey in the hot water, but I do not continue to heat the water.

Back