Bottling an amber ale today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflem550

Reaction score
I plan on boiling 3/4 cup of corn sugar to bottle with.

Thinking about mixing in some maple syrup.

Yay or Nay?

Probably won't even know the difference?

nay. I would stick with the corn sugar.

Save the syrup for pancakes or an experimental brew later. You do not want to guess at priming sugar. Bottles could go BOOM.

magno said:
nay. I would stick with the corn sugar.

Save the syrup for pancakes or an experimental brew later. You do not want to guess at priming sugar. Bottles could go BOOM.

lol

thanks for the tip.

i was going to ADD the syrup to the 3/4 cup of sugar. guess it's not a good idea.

once i transfer from my secondary to my bottling bucket, i will probably be left with about 4 gallons of beer.

should i cut down on my corn sugar or will 3/4 cup be okay?

I just bottled. This is my second attempt at home brewing. This beer tasted better than my first.

DSC01750.jpg

Others have used maple syrup for fermentables and report it adds a nice smoky flavor to the beer. Thanks for reminding me, I meant to try that someday.

Maple syrup has some fermentable sugars in it, so you'll want to compensate with less corn sugar if you want to add the syrup. I don't know what ratio to use. You'll probably have to dilute it a bit and use a hydrometer to estimate how much of it to add. It would probably be a lot safer to add the maple syrup into the boil and let it ferment with the rest of the beer, and stick with corn sugar for bottling.

It's been bottled for about 54 hrs and I already want to crack one open.

:fro:

i couldn't wait. i chilled one last night. already had a slight hiss when i cracked it open, but was pretty flat. it needs to do a little settling.

tasted awesome though. gonna be great with some carbonation in it.

Back