First timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmzjr69

Reaction score
Question:
I have made "true brew, all malt brown ale" on Jan 1st 2012 at 530pm. OG gravity was 1.043. Frementing action started right away at 10pm, Fermenting stopped on Jan 4th. Transfered to Glass Carboy for secondary fermenting. Now current gravity reading was 1.022. On instructions book expecting FG would be 1.010 - 1.012. So how much time do I need to wait before start bottling. This inform would be helpful for me to arrange friends for assist with bottle. jan 15th is too soon, I would think. Has to be on sundays for bottling.

Thanks!

I would give it at least three weeks from brew day and then check it again. If the gravity is down around 1.012 then I'd go ahead and bottle.

Those times that come with the instructions are only recommendations and most people like to let the beer sit in primary fermenter for at least two or three weeks before they transfer over to secondary to give the yeast time to clean up after themselves and finish fermenting.

A good portion of folks will skip the secondary entirely and just bottle or keg after three weeks (depending on the gravity reading), and this works well for those beers whose starting gravity is less than 1.050.

Is this an extract beer? What yeast did you use? Ambient temperature?

At any rate, I'd let it sit a few more days and take another reading. It's common for a beer to go gangbusters at the start, then slow down at the finish. Those last few points might take a few days.

Once you have a stable gravity over a period of 3 days I'd say you can safely bottle.

I would give it at least three weeks from brew day and then check it again. If the gravity is down around 1.012 then I'd go ahead and bottle.

Those times that come with the instructions are only recommendations and most people like to let the beer sit in primary fermenter for at least two or three weeks before they transfer over to secondary to give the yeast time to clean up after themselves and finish fermenting.

A good portion of folks will skip the secondary entirely and just bottle or keg after three weeks (depending on the gravity reading), and this works well for those beers whose starting gravity is less than 1.050.

I will wait few more days then check the gravity again.

Is this an extract beer? What yeast did you use? Ambient temperature?

At any rate, I'd let it sit a few more days and take another reading. It's common for a beer to go gangbusters at the start, then slow down at the finish. Those last few points might take a few days.

Once you have a stable gravity over a period of 3 days I'd say you can safely bottle.

yes it is extract malt, i havent write down the yeast, temp was 68 to 70.

As an aside, 3 days in primary is really not long enough. for future batches, I would recommend leaving it alone in primary for at least 10-14 days, if not 21+. I would also skip the secondary on most beers - it is not needed most of the time.

I guess everyone will have differing opinions on how long to leave in primary...

I remember those directions that come with the kits always said something like 3-5 days in primary, move to secondary, bottle at 10-12 days or something

I think everyone will agree that is not nearly long enough - but in the end, you will still get beer

In my couple years of brewing, I tried different bucket times but ultimately just stuck to the 1-2-3 method...

1 week in the primary
2 weeks in the secondary
3 weeks in the bottles

Just made it easier to keep track of progress

To the OP - it will end up being beer, just be sure after you bottle you give it 3-weeks. You really will notice a difference before and after the 3-week mark.

And after you have your beer, enjoy it - you made beer!

Brown ale was drinkable, several people asked for second bottle after finished thier drinks. now waiting for Irish red ale to mature for other week to test second taste after first one was raw but tasted good.

Back