Adding boiled hops to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
Kind of an abstract idea, but has anyone boiled a small amount of water and an ounce of hops for an hour, strained, then poured in a keg?

Cheers,

Well, the water should have some IBUs, so if you add the water you could increase the bitterness of the beer (useful for an underbittered beer). But not the hops- they'd be "boiled out" so to speak and not useful. I wasn't sure from your post which you meant to do.

I would discard the hops after boiling, then add the hopped water to the keg.

I had a "where did the hops go?" brew just one time - a wheat recipe that was insipidly low IBU going into primary. Still not sure wtf happened but as we're all major hop heads here that beer would have never gone anywhere as it was.

So I dumped an ounce of the beefiest pellets I had on hand - Chinook @ 12% AA - in a quart of water in a small stainless steel pot, added a cup of wheat DME, and let it simmer for an hour, then strained out the pellet mush and poured the extract into the carboy.

The beer came out just fine - a total save...

Cheers!

Another option might be hops extract, I think it's called "hopshot" or something like that. That way you don't water down your beer.

A couple of guys have made "hop tea" in a French press and used that, and been happy with it. I can't remember who/what/when (old age and all) but I bet you could find it with a quick forum search.

Another option might be hops extract, I think it's called "hopshot" or something like that. That way you don't water down your beer.

A couple of guys have made "hop tea" in a French press and used that, and been happy with it. I can't remember who/what/when (old age and all) but I bet you could find it with a quick forum search.

Due to the rules of the competition i can only use the ingredients given, I only have 1 oz amarillo left. I think I will the "hop tea" concept with that 1 oz.

I had a "where did the hops go?" brew just one time - a wheat recipe that was insipidly low IBU going into primary. Still not sure wtf happened but as we're all major hop heads here that beer would have never gone anywhere as it was.

So I dumped an ounce of the beefiest pellets I had on hand - Chinook @ 12% AA - in a quart of water in a small stainless steel pot, added a cup of wheat DME, and let it simmer for an hour, then strained out the pellet mush and poured the extract into the carboy.

The beer came out just fine - a total save...

Cheers!

Not sure if I want to use DME, I really dont want to add any more sweetness to the keg. How much water did you use? Hops oz and variety?

Hop tea is typically used in the fermenter, not the keg. If you use some DME and add it to the keg with the hop tea you are adding unfermented sugar to the cold beer.

I've never tried what you are asking, but I asked an experienced brewer the exact same question last year. He said that it would put huge grassy flavor in the beer...don't know, but that's what he told me.

I don't usually follow other people when it comes to beer...I listen to all and make decisions based on everything I hear, even from less experienced brewers.
In your case, I suppose you are trying to get more hop aroma/flavor out of the beer in which case I would weight down a bag with 1/2 oz or maybe an oz of hops and slowly lower it into the keg with a piece of fishing string or sewing thread...all sanitized by boiling of course.

If I were to try doing what you are suggesting, it would be like this...boil a cup of water, kill the flame and add the hops, strain it after 10-20 minutes covered and add the liquid to the keg, or better yet, add a squirt to a glass of beer and test before chancing the entire keg.

I'm up to a total of about 11 ounces per 5 gallons on IPA's. Amarillo, Palisade and Simcoe are part of several ounces that hit the fermenter on week #2. I love the stuff. I would drop a weighted bag slowly into the keg.

Back