brix and sugar help please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
I just purchased 5g of cherry juice from a local winery/fruit farm label says it is 21 brix i tried playing with the refractometer in promash and cant get the same answer, so what does 21brix equate to on a hydrometer? also what is the value of table sugar(say 1lb in 1g of h20)?

cancel on the ppg of sugar found that answer.

21 Brix is 21% soluble solids in solution calculated as Sugar.
21 brix= 210 Grams/Liter. Much easier scale to use for Winemakers

ok ty. trying to get my head around everything. i got an immense brewday coming up. 3 beers out of 1 grainbill. one of which calls for 1g of the 5g of cherry juice. the rest of the cherry juice is going to wine(my first non kit wine).

Well in that case, you have a beer (assuming 5 g) that will have 1g of cherry juice at about 84 points, Assuming you have 40points in the other 4g that's 160 points for a total of about 264... /5 = about 65 or 66 points... OG should be around 1.065 with these numbers.

Since you said 1 grain bill and 3 beers, are you doing 3 runnings? Then I'm guessing cherry juice with the last (to bring up the sugar)... in that case, to hit 1.040 you need to get about 1.025 og (100 [4*25]points) out of the 4g

lol just the opposite cherry going into 1st runnings. red currants into the 2nd runnings. mot sure what im doing with the 3rd. might leave it mostly alone and have a light refreshing session beer.

Back