Boring question: Which sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrAverage

Reaction score
I been brewing for years and have always used bleach to sanitize my stuff. The price is right, it's easy to use and I've never had any problems with infections, but I'm a little tired of all the rinsing and having to soak stuff for a fairly long time. I'm also concerned about the envrionmental consequences.

I've started to think about switching to a diiferent santitizer but am not sure where to begin. My priorities are:

1) Effective - MUST be an effective sanitizer
2) ease of use - i.e. easy to mix, no rinse, no special protective gear required
3) speed - i.e. dip a spoon into it, wait a few seconds and you're good to go
4) cost
5) longevity of mixed solution - how long can I keep the solution in a spray bottle or bucket and still have it work

So, what are you follks using? What are the pros and cons of the vatious products out there?

I been brewing for years and have always used bleach to sanitize my stuff. The price is right, it's easy to use and I've never had any problems with infections, but I'm a little tired of all the rinsing and having to soak stuff for a fairly long time. I'm also concerned about the envrionmental consequences.

I've started to think about switching to a diiferent santitizer but am not sure where to begin. My priorities are:

1) Effective - MUST be an effective sanitizer
2) ease of use - i.e. easy to mix, no rinse, no special protective gear required
3) speed - i.e. dip a spoon into it, wait a few seconds and you're good to go
4) cost
5) longevity of mixed solution - how long can I keep the solution in a spray bottle or bucket and still have it work

So, what are you follks using? What are the pros and cons of the vatious products out there?

Starsan all the way.

1. As effective as you can get with under 1 minute contact time
2. All your requirements apply
3. See # 1
4. This one is decieving. It looks expensive up front, but you use a small amount, and it lasts, so I spend less than $10 per year on it.
5. I regularly keep mine a month to a month and a half, and have never had a problem. They say it loses it's effectiveness when it turns cloudy, or the ph rises above 3.5 (i think). so you can get some test strips and keep an eye on it if you want.

I used to use idophor...worked great. Tried Starsan may not go back just because of the spray bottle. easy, easy, easy!!

mike

Back