Kolsch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiMaxC

Reaction score
my basement is getting too cold to ferment with most ale yeasts, I've got some Kolsch yeast but not a huge fan of the style personally, I prefer something darker.

What I'm getting at here is what other styles could I make with this yeast?

Honestly, couldn't you do any style you want?
Kolsch yeast is really neutral.

In other news, try a schwartzbier. Usually it's a lager, but why not mix it up a little and do it as a kolsch?

It might make an interesting Brown Porter, of Brown ale. This yeast gives a little fruity note so you'd want something that compliments that. I'm not sure if it would agree with a bunch of roasted malt as in a robust porter or a Std. stout, but maybe an oatmeal, or sweet stout.

I love Kolsch yeast and use it just about any time I want something neutral-ish.

My favorite: 10 lbs of good Munich malt with 20-25 IBUs bittering from a German noble hop. It produces a nice, malty amber beer, flavorful but very drinkable. You can sub in a pound or two of dark Munich for more bready-ness and/or melanoidin/aromatic malt for even more. A touch of crystal can be nice, too; I have a batch conditioning now with half a pound or so of honey malt that tastes promising. The Kolsch's clean flavor with just a hint of fruity and wine-y character really helps pull it together.

PSEUDO LAGER BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make an early Oktoberfest. Those who mock whether or not you're true to the style, ask them if they are lagering theirs in underground caves in the Rhineland!!!!

Evan I didn't notice the wine-y character in my pilsner w/ it, but I can really taste it out of the fermenter in my Oktoberfest.

personally I experimented with this yeast on a few batches and didn't like the results. The yeast gave that certain flavor that overpowered crystal malt & a few other specialty malts. I'm only gonna stick to making kolsch with it myself.

if I were you I would def ferment as cold as you can with this yeast.

+1 ona robust ports, RIS, or other dark beer. Several breweries around here do the same, specifically one of my favorites make a stout in which the yeast profile goes really nice with the roasty flavors.

Sorry I don't have a link here, but I saw someone on here who brewed a pale ale and fermented with about six diff yeasts. He ended up preferring the kolsch, I think because of its neutrality which allowed the hop character to really come through.

Back