Tell me it'll be ok. (An impatient beginner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsay

Reaction score
I know, RDWHAHB, but I was holding out hope that my Austin Homebrew order would have shipped today, I placed the order on Saturday. Yea, I went for the cheap shipping, so I suppose it's ok. I'll have to wait once my first batch is brewed anyway before I can enjoy it. Just needed to let off a little steam, thanks for listening.

Yeah i ordered last Monday and its due to be delivered this Thursday. It takes a little while but well worth it for the cheap shipping prices.

When I first started, I ordered my kit from some website (can't remember it now) but it was apparently back ordered. It took a month to get it. Believe me, I know how you feel. But to pass the month, I just read every post I could on HBT and by the time I started brewing, I felt like I knew exactly what I was doing!

Don't worry, Austin HBS ships very fast, and if it hasn't shipped today, it will be by tomorrow.

No worries... before you know it you'll be popping open a bottle of a beer that you made yourself and you'll swear that it's the best beer that you've ever tasted. :mug:

It takes a little while - Plus UPS sucks at times.

I was ON TIME until they changed ON TIME to the NEXT day which was again ON TIME!

However - Ben25 is 100% correct. Use the time to learn the things you WISH you would have known BEFORE the first batch.

Every batch I made up to #4 I wish I would have known that one little tweak I learned between batches.

It all came together on #4 . . . #1 sort of sucked as I burnt the pot and my Cold Break was way too long!

You'll be fine bsay, but I totally understand your impatience. I'm climbing the walls right now because I have no beer, and my equipment is 125 miles away ...

You have quite the planned list there!

Yup, it's based on this (not necessarily clone kits, but styles of beer):
Black Dragon Cherry Stout, because i love Guinness and cherry anything!
Gold Dragon Wheat, i am a Boulevard Fan
Blue Dragon Belgian Wit, Blue moon, need I say more?
Bronze Dragon Amber Ale, The soon to be Father-in-Law loves Fat Tire
Red Dragon Irish Red Ale, I am a Killian's fan, though I've always thought it had too much of a metallic taste, I'm going to try to tweak it out of my version.

I am going with the Dragon theme, since I have a giant model of a Black Dragon sitting on my "bar" (two stacked small book shelves and an old dorm fridge). It's from Wizards D&D minis.

If you ordered on Saturday, then they probably didn't really process it until Monday, because they want you to get the freshest stuff possible, and UPS doesn't ship on the weekends. So it's really like you ordered on Monday. I usually place my orders with them on the weekend and plan on having my stuff by Wednesday, but I also live relatively close.

I'm 2 sometimes 3 days away for UPS - takes 2-3 days for the order to be process so I figure a week but I try not to have the order in a UPS truck over the weekend.

Didn't work this time - they shipped on Friday. I think I'll have to order on Thursdays from now on to ship on Monday.

Dragon - I'm like you - I have my next 5 brews in stream. LOL YOU CAN NEVER PLAN ENOUGH!!!

The secret now is to go ahead and order your next batch while your busy with your first.

Then brew your second batch while your first is fermenting.

Then ferment your second batch while your first is conditioning in bottles and your third order is shipping.

Then drink your first batch, while your second is fermenting, and you're brewing your third.

You get the idea...;)

ive been a HBT member for 24 hours and ive learned an intense sized bag of info i even ordered a turkey fryer last night :)

The secret now is to go ahead and order your next batch while your busy with your first.

Then brew your second batch while your first is fermenting.

Then ferment your second batch while your first is conditioning in bottles and your third order is shipping.

Then drink your first batch, while your second is fermenting, and you're brewing your third.

You get the idea...;)

I already have my next 4 or 5 brew kits added to my wish list, gosh I love that feature! I need to order again as soon as my first batch goes into secondary. I just realized that the supply kit I ordered did not come with any kind of bottling bucket, so I'll get one of those and my next beer kit or two (want to keep things fresh!)

Stopped by my LHBS (1 hour away) to scope the place out yesterday. Bought Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing and read through the end of the intermediate section last night over a bottle of O'Dell's Levity Amber Ale. My LBHS will be a great place to pick up some raw ingredients, as they have an excellent selection, but their kit selection is only extract with the cost being about the same as an Austin Homebrew kit with shipping, so if I like my first AHS kit, I'll keep ordering from them. I forgot to check if they had liquid yeast, since I make a trip up there about twice a month (soon to be once a week) anyway, I could just bring a cooler with some ice and not have to worry about shipping yeast.

I have brew day marked on my calendar for Aug. 14, so I'll definitely have my equipment by then, but I'm gone this weekend, so I will be placing a nice little note on my door for the UPS carrier: "Please hold package (Tracking #: Z#...#) to be picked up from the local depot on Monday, August 11. If possible, please store in a cool place. Thank you!" They usually won't leave the package anyway, since my apartment complex does not have a locking outer door, but they kind of know me, since I usually place notes on the door telling them to just leave the package with my signature on the note.

Back