Cloning WLP002?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if this is a way of saving some WLP002 English ale yeast.
Im going to brew my hobgoblin at the weekend with this yeast.
I have used this yeast a few time and am very please with what it produces.
My question is, could i make a larger starter than i actually need, kind of stepping up a couple times in order to get more of this yeast to seperate from the yeast i will use for my beer and save for future brews? Makes sense to me that it would work and also being less hassle of washing yeast, i should theoretically have quite a lot of 002.
Anybody have any thoughts?

Cheers

I would recommend top cropping. 2-3 days into fermentation, scoop off the foamy krausen into a sanitized mason jar. Super easy and works great with this strain.

Doesn't seem like a problem, just make sure to make a starter with the saved yeast before you brew with it unless it is soon. And there are plenty of threads on here that will have good information on how to store the yeast, yeast propagation, yeast starters, etc.... seems like you know how to make a starter and have information on washing yeast so you should be good.

Cool, thanks for the info guys, im still fairly need to some of this but i thought it may work this was.
I guess a lot of the fun is trial an error, as for top cropping, i have always been a bit weary about it because im too worried of ruining a batch of healthily fermenting beer, this way i though might be easier ( for me anyway ) as im making a starter so why not make a bigger starter and save some yeast.

Cheers

Back