Repitch advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadkarol

Reaction score
I brewed a French saison last weekend with an OG of 1.063. I didn't have any DME to do a yeast starter so I just pitched the wyeast 3711 without a starter. Checked the gravity yesterday and its only at 1.030 and bubbling is a bit slow. I got another yeast packet and I bought a stir plate also. What do you think? Should I do a yeast starter and repitch? Or just wait it out?

What temp is the room where fermentation is happening?

3711 is a trucker, and should be fine even at that gravity, provided you gave some decent aeration.

I have it in a temp controlled freezer at 72. Wasn't an old yeast packet although I don't remember the date.

I would maybe turn it up a bit to the upper level of what is acceptable for that strain (76?). That strain is a beast so it should be able to finish out no problem

Any down sides to repitching with a starter? I sort of want to try out my new stir plate. :)

Well you would probably be wasting yeast. It's pretty hard to over pitch in homebrew so it's probably not all that bad. If the brew is truely stuck then I would pitch it at high Krausen

I waited. Checked the gravity today and way down to 1.005. Now I have an extra package of 3711. Never a bad thing. :)

congrads! glad it worked out alright. saison yeasts in general can take a bit to get down to FG, usually it takes a while to get those last few points fermented out.

Crack open a bottle or tap it yet?

No, actually I haven't. I ended up putting it in a barrel I had soaking with white wine for a while. I should have bottled last weekend, but ran out of time (little 7 month old is a handful). Hopefully I'll be bottling this week sometime. Maybe I'll use one of my kegs that I haven't used in quite a while. Ran out of CO2 and just haven't had the time to get it filled.

Back