Cat 5 cable for automated valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rossbrau

Reaction score
Question from an electric-dumb brewer attempting an automated system...

Can I run the supply for my motorized valves through cat 5 cable? I'm using the valves on oscsys: https://www.oscsys.com/store/product/291?wwparam=1370178529

Supposedly they should be 12v only using 80 mA, so I don't see that there should be any issue but I wanted to check with you guys first. If I use a common ground wire for all the valves, I should be able to squeeze 3 valves into one standard cat 5 cable.

Thanks!

Would work fine. I use CAT5 to activate "remote" 12V SSRs, and even take temp readings. No problems on runs of 50ft.

Question from a brewer attempting an automated system...
Can I run the supply for my motorized valves through cat 5 cable?

Thanks!

I use cat cables for most of my low voltage applications.
Example pic: Hop dispenser controlling a motor, solenoid and position sensor

100_1510.jpg

I use cat cables for most of my low voltage applications.
Example pic: Hop dispenser controlling a motor, solenoid and position sensor

Is that some sort of panel-mount RJ45 keystone jack? I'm looking for a tidy interface for the cables as between both of my panels (one at the ferm chamber which also serves as the master panel for my BCS; the other controlling the brewery by communicating with said master panel), I'm going to require 13-15 such jacks.

My suggestion to you is that you use a Cat 5e cable for the extra shielding. It is not so important for the valves ect but if you start splicing runs so you can get multiple sensors/valves in the same cable then it will help with any associated noise. I am in the middle of building/designing my automated brew rig and am taking some consideration to wire runs and proximity to the pumps ect. Because I want to keep the class 1(power) wiring and class 2( signal wiring as separate as I can. Btw I am an EE with a concentration in microelectronics and now work as a consultant designing medium voltage and building distribution systems along with campus/building communication networks for whatever that's worth here. so if you need help feel free to hit me up and I can do what I can to help you trouble shoot if you need.

Happy brewing

Back