Over-aerating during siphoning to bottle bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woozy

Reaction score
Over aerating?

AERO1.jpg

and

AERO2.jpg

Yes, definitely. Looks like you've got a leak at that connection. Make sure it's really tight and I always test with water (and star san to clean) before I run any beer through my tubes.

Raise your FV up on a counter while your keg/bottle bucket are on the floor.
Try to get a solid siphon going with a higher head and it should help.
I used to have this problem all the time untill i switched a longer siphon hose and higher head.

or you can buy smaller dia tubing.

If you have a leak at the racking cane connection, you can use a cable tie and tighten it up really good. I use an 8" cable tie and pull it tight with pliers.

I don't know what FV is. Fermenting vessel???

I don't have a leak in the racking cane. I have a massive air bubble in the racking cane. I don't have the slightest freakin' idea of how I'm supposed to fill the racking cane to get a siphon going. The 'effing thing is two feet long (I think I'm going to saw off 8 inches) and rigid. I filled the tube with sanitizing liquid and the siphoned the sanitizing liquid down to fill the cane and tube and then put the cane into the vessel but despite my best efforts it comes out like so (and gave out when I was 3/4 done). Also I have absolutely no way of predicting just how solid a stream I will get until I actually do it, and then I'm committed. Part is that trying to get a sealing clamp on the tube with my tube clamp really effing stinks. The tube was the smallest and most flexible I could find. 3/8 inner diameter 1/2 inch outer diameter but it's still a pain in the ass.

I only siphon for my 1 gallon batches.

... okay....

calm down.

Managed in a test from the counter to the floor to get a better siphon... until pulling on the four foot tube cause the carboy and a gallon of water to fall off the counter onto my head.

Folding the tube in a pinch with my fingers is at least 20 times more effective than the tube clamp which is a useless piece of junk.

... okay ... calm down.

Will need six feet of tubing I guess.

Raise your FV up on a counter while your keg/bottle bucket are on the floor.
Try to get a solid siphon going with a higher head and it should help.
I used to have this problem all the time untill i switched a longer siphon hose and higher head.

or you can buy smaller dia tubing.

Longer siphon hose for sure.
People should be shot for selling the siphoners with those damn 3 ft hose...which is at least a foot too short to properly transfer the beer.
I was having a helluva time with my first beer trying to transfer, spilling beer, getting air in the line etc. Went to the hardware store and bought 5 ft hose...problem solved.

Longer siphon hose for sure.
People should be shot for selling the siphoners with those damn 3 ft hose...

Got no one to blame but myself for that. No-one sold me the hose. I selected and cut it myself.

Umm. Any reason I *shouldn't* cut eight inches off my racking cane with a hack-saw?

Got no one to blame but myself for that. No-one sold me the hose. I selected and cut it myself.

Umm. Any reason I *shouldn't* cut eight inches off my racking cane with a hack-saw?

I wouldn't because the hack sawed edges will be rough and can potentially grow bugs. One thing that helps me when I get a bubble there is to flick the connection once to dislodge the bubble. That seems to help.

I wouldn't because the hack sawed edges will be rough and can potentially grow bugs.

That's a good reason.

Wasn't so much a bubble as a bad siphon seal. Too much of a leak in the end of the tube during the time I moved the cane into the carboy. In that time the poor seal at the end of the tube allowed a *lot* of air to get into the racking can through the open end.

Next time: 1) Don't rely on the tube clamp to pinch the hose; will pinch the tube in a 180 degree fold pinch. Maybe I misunderstood how to use the clamp.

2) Will siphon over edge of counter to floor. Into the sink as I did this time is probably okay except I really didn't have enough manouvering room with the rigid cane. led to having only 3 inches of head in practice and lots of air got in.

3) longer hose.

Siphoning's a pain. It's simple in theory but it's a real mess. Do they make auto-siphons for tiny 1 gallon batches?

the way ive done it (twice now) is to put my carboy on the kitchen table, bottling bucket (or whatever your racking too) on the floor. I connect my hose (4 foot) to the racking cane, fill the whole thing with sanstar and put my thumb over the end of the hose so that the sanstar doesnt empty out of the hose or racking cane, slide the racking cane into the fermentor, and then lower the hose and let my thumb off. I have an empty bucket or pan on the floor and let the sanstar drain into that, then when beer starts coming out, transfer the hose to my other container. I havent had any problems yet with this method. I also have very tight connection between the hose and the racking cane.

the way ive done it (twice now) is to put my carboy on the kitchen table, bottling bucket (or whatever your racking too) on the floor. I connect my hose (4 foot) to the racking cane, fill the whole thing with sanstar and put my thumb over the end of the hose so that the sanstar doesnt empty out of the hose or racking cane, slide the racking cane into the fermentor, and then lower the hose and let my thumb off. I have an empty bucket or pan on the floor and let the sanstar drain into that, then when beer starts coming out, transfer the hose to my other container. I havent had any problems yet with this method. I also have very tight connection between the hose and the racking cane.

What size hose do you use??? I can do that just fine with a 1/4 inch hose, but there's no way in hell my thumb is ever going to form a decent seal on a 1/2 inch hose.

..., fill the whole thing with sanstar and put my thumb ...

Okay, I'm in a really really *really* bad mood right now so I'm venting and bitching more than I should but ...

Why in the world does every-one say "and then fill it" so blithely?

As far as I can tell, figuring out how to fill the tube and racking cane is the *single* most difficult puzzling aspect of the mess and is utterly messy, wet, irritating pain in the ass. You can't fill either of them from the sink or with funnels. Filling em by siphoning seems to be the only way and that's so irritating with the cane being so effing long and stiff and tube so floppy (except when you want it to be flexible and then it is so stiff). If I could fill the damned thing efficiently everything else would be trivial.

Sorry. Just had to vent. I'm really, really, *REALLY* pissed off right now.

As everyone has said, get them vertically as far apart as possible. I don't have an auto-siphon and never really found a need to get one, I have a dedicated turkey baster that I use draw the beer through the line. Gravity is your friend, the further it has to go, the more force it uses to flush out the air pockets.

I have a dedicated turkey baster that I use draw the beer through the line.

Oh! That's clever! Sort of a poor man's auto-siphon.

I can see an auto-siphon being useful but as I said, I only need it for my 1 gallon batches which will probably be a very small proportion of my brewing.

They make 3 sizes. I'd assume the small one would work. Not positive though.

Oh! That's clever! Sort of a poor man's auto-siphon.

I can see an auto-siphon being useful but as I said, I only need it for my 1 gallon batches which will probably be a very small proportion of my brewing.

Funny thing, it was, and fifteen years later I'm still doing the very same thing! Stop practicing and wasting on your precious beer, practice transferring water from one vessel to another until you find a routine that works for you.

Remember, gravity is your friend and your enemy.

When I get a siphon going that has a big air bubble right where the tubing and racking cane meet, I give the tubing a quick pinch right where the beer is leaving the racking cane, for me this causes the air bubble get pushed out the end of the tube.

The air bubble is not a leak. I haven't used a racking cane in years, but I get this problem when racking with vinyl hose from a better bottle into a keg. All I have to do is hold the hose end higher than the level of the beer, open the valve, then slowly lower the hose into the keg. The concept is that the flow of beer is not forceful enough to push the air down through the tube against gravity, so you have to provide the air an upward path to escape the hose. It doesn't want to be in there anyway.

They do sell little auto siphons for 1 gallon batches. My LHBS has them and they are about half the length of a normal auto siphon

Back