$57.35

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
MAJOR SCORE TONIGHT!!!!

score.jpg

1. Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter
2. Oskar Blues Old Chub Scottish Ale
3. Wittekerke (a very nice Belgian Witte that I enjoy immensely)...the airlock coming out of the top of the can is actually a gallon of cider, behind the beers... :)
4. Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA
5. Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale ( A Scottish red?) Can't wait to try this!
6. Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye (3 bottles, YES!!!!!!!)
7. Murphy's Stout (never had one of these, had to try a single)
8. Rose Belgian Wit with raspberries (made by Wittekerke and the can looked freaking hawt!) Not expecting much but look at those cans!!!
9. Stone Ruination (2 bottles!!!!)
10. Victory Hop Wallop
11. Clipper City Loose Cannon (proprietor of the store said it was a great IPA, never even heard of the brewery....)
12. Stone Smoked Porter (now that I have my own smoked porter on tap, need to do some quality comparison research)

I am so psyched!!!! (too bad I work all weekend though, Sunday is when I get to start sampling :mad: )

You will like Red Rocket and if you also like Racer 5, you need to make a field trip to taste Racer X.

i thought the racer 5 was a good IPA too. the murphy's stout is good, nothing fancy to me. of course the hop rod whips booty, heard of clipper city but never seen/had it. still waiting to try my Ruination IPA for a good night.....

looks like a good score their dude!

I did some sampling myself this weekend. There's a cafe in my small town that apparently has a very good variety of beers. I haven't been there in years becuase it's a little to trendy for my tastes - 90% of the menu is salads and bagels. But my wife likes it so we went on Friday night. Anyway, here's what I tried:

Hop Devil: I've seen a couple of you guys talking about this one before so I gave it a shot. Pretty darn good - I'd give it top five status on my IPA ranking!

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout: From North Coast Brewing. I've had their Red Seal Ale before and liked it a lot. I've been thinking about brewing an Imperial Stout for while and this beer locked it for me. Oh man it was good! Every aspect of this beer was enjoyable.

Chimay: Another one I've seen you guys talking about before. Maybe it was due to the buzz from the first two beers (which were pretty high abv), but this was one of the best beers I've tried in a long long time. Oh my god, this beer was good. Well worth the $5 price tag. If it wasn't so expensive I could've drank this all night. SO FRIGGIN' GOOD! I toured New Belgium in Ft. Collins last summer and their Belgian tripel was a horrible representation of the style compared to this Chimay. I can't get over it. I'm beside myself. Must find recipe.

DFH Indian Brown Ale: Wow, another great beer. I thought that after the Chimay being so good this might be a let down but it was also awesome. Not mind-boggling-good like the Chimay or the Imperial Stout, but very very good.

I was four-for-four on beer sampling! A grand slam! I can't believe my luck. I think in the future I will have to tolerate the occasional salad & bagel for dinner just so I can drink some more good beers.

AHU

Dude said:
Murphy's Stout (never had one of these, had to try a single)
Like DeRoux stated it's nothing too special - probaby the second biggest selling stout in the UK after Guiness. The other stuff looks exotic to me though - I'm used to UK and other European bottled beer labels! Let us know your taste testings!
(and you did have me worried there briefly but i'm glad you've stopped using those two beer cans glued together as a fermenter! ;) :D )

AllHoppedUp said:
DFH Indian Brown Ale: Wow, another great beer. I thought that after the Chimay being so good this might be a let down but it was also awesome. Not mind-boggling-good like the Chimay or the Imperial Stout, but very very good.
I did a clone of that one last year and really liked it. The only problem was it didn't take much to kick my ass! Very strange to get hit by hops from a brown ale.

BeeGee said:
I did a clone of that one last year and really liked it. The only problem was it didn't take much to kick my ass! Very strange to get hit by hops from a brown ale.

from that statement i assume you've never had THE ARROGNAT BASTARD ALE from Stone? :D :drunk: OH-MAMA!!!! that, like Hop Rod Rye, is a beer-life changing experience......:D

Crap, somehow I missed the entire word 'never'. Reminds me of when I learned flammable and inflammable mean the same thing. We just started getting the good stuff over here, so I'm keeping my hopes up...we are getting DFH now!

BeeGee said:
Crap, somehow I missed the entire word 'never'. Reminds me of when I learned flammable and inflammable mean the same thing. We just started getting the good stuff over here, so I'm keeping my hopes up...we are getting DFH now!

if not, maybe we can work a swap:)

DeRoux's Broux said:
from that statement i assume you've never had THE ARROGNAT BASTARD ALE from Stone? :D :drunk: OH-MAMA!!!! that, like Hop Rod Rye, is a beer-life changing experience......:D
Hey Dude, sorry to jack your thread, but this seemed a good time to get a pressing question answered.

So, Arrogant Bastard...is it hoppy, or just bitter? I had one maybe six months ago. I don't really recall a real hoppy taste or aroma...all I can remember is that it was overpoweringly bitter. That Hopzilla we had tho, DeRoux...that one was really bitter (wasn't it?), but you don't notice the bitter so much because you're overwhelmed by the hop aroma and flavor.

The Hopzilla I'd call hoppy, but the Bastard to me was just bitter, or am I mis-remembering it? And Hop Rod Rye...where does it fit in there?

El Pistolero said:
So, Arrogant Bastard...is it hoppy, or just bitter? I had one maybe six months ago. I don't really recall a real hoppy taste or aroma...all I can remember is that it was overpoweringly bitter. That Hopzilla we had tho, DeRoux...that one was really bitter (wasn't it?), but you don't notice the bitter so much because you're overwhelmed by the hop aroma and flavor.

The Hopzilla I'd call hoppy, but the Bastard to me was just bitter, or am I mis-remembering it? And Hop Rod Rye...where does it fit in there?

well, i read this post while i was drinking a Hop Rod Rye last night (site was down, so i couldn't respond). and, i really think the Arrogant Bastard and the Hop Rod Rye are very close in style and bitternes. the Hopzilla @ Two Rows is very bitter, but it's balanced pretty good. give the Arrogant Bastard another try, and i beat you'll like it a bit more this time. the Arrogant Bastard is a big hoppy brown ale, i assume along the lines of the DFH India Brown Ale. but, i doubt it's better than the almighty Bastard!:D

I picked up a Twisted Thistle and a Dead Guy Ale last night. I almost got an AB, but I'm just not sure I'm worthy yet. :D

i drink arogant b. ale all the time, and i hate brown ales. to me they are everything a beer is not supposed to be: light in alcohol, sweet, not bitter, with no hop aroma. i would not consider 'newscastle brown ale' which i always thought was a brown ale in the same category as arrogant bastard ale, they are 100 percent different.

arogant. b ale is 7 percent abv, bitter as hell, with a moderate hop aroma, and its more pale than brown....

cgravier said:
i drink arogant b. ale all the time, and i hate brown ales. to me they are everything a beer is not supposed to be: light in alcohol, sweet, not bitter, with no hop aroma. i would not consider 'newscastle brown ale' which i always thought was a brown ale in the same category as arrogant bastard ale, they are 100 percent different.

arogant. b ale is 7 percent abv, bitter as hell, with a moderate hop aroma, and its more pale than brown....

well, take a gander at the web site or check these tasting notes from beer advocate. almost all call it a deep ruby, dark amber american ale, etc.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/92/

didn't see a Pale ale description listed..........

DeRoux's Broux said:
well, i read this post while i was drinking a Hop Rod Rye last night

Ha! I drank one last night too. Forgot how freaking good that stuff is.

I also had the Victory Hop Wallop. I was very surprised at how pale it was. It was damn good though. LOL, I even made my wife try both of them. Well actually I guilted her into it because she yelled at me not five minutes before I opened the Hop Devil because she saw the empty can of Murphy's stout sitting on the counter, and asked when I drank it. I told her when I got off work that morning, so she said she wished I would wait before I try new beers so she can sample it too. HAHA....so I made her try the Hop Devil, (she actually said not as bad as the others...), and then the Hop Rod Rye. She said that it tasted like SOAP!!!! LOL.....

Anyway, the Hop Wallop: Really nice aroma, I swear I got almost a lime citrus thing at first. Very smooth bitterness, but definitely a highly hopped beer. I'm VERY impressed with everything I've had from Victory so far. Give me a sixer of this stuff any day.

Caplan said:
The Dead Guy Ale by Rogue? Have you tried it?
That's the one...haven't tried it yet. I have to go on a biz dinner with SWMBO tonight, so maybe I'll try it after, instead of just shooting myself in the head. :D

El Pistolero said:
That's the one...haven't tried it yet. I have to go on a biz dinner with SWMBO tonight, so maybe I'll try it after, instead of just shooting myself in the head. :D
Let me know your thoughts - I couldn't get over the honey tones - they just seemed to mask it all for me. Assuming it's the same one that makes it's way to the UK and not another version they do!

Caplan said:
Let me know your thoughts - I couldn't get over the honey tones - they just seemed to mask it all for me. Assuming it's the same one that makes it's way to the UK and not another version they do!

i thought the same caplan. may have been that i read that 1st and it just stuck in my head. nice dark straw color and definate hop thing going too.

DeRoux's Broux said:
well, take a gander at the web site or check these tasting notes from beer advocate. almost all call it a deep ruby, dark amber american ale, etc.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/92/

didn't see a Pale ale description listed..........

ok you guys were right...whenever i hear 'brown ale' i think of poop colored weak english beers, i didnt realize american brown ales are acually really good. Arrogant b. is one of the, if not best strong beers ive ever had, its totally balanced. i usually dont drink beers much stronger than 6 percnt abv, unless its chimay or duval, but this beer drinks like its 5 percent. totally awesome beer!

DeRoux's Broux said:
i thought the same caplan. may have been that i read that 1st and it just stuck in my head. nice dark straw color and definate hop thing going too.
Well i smelt and tasted it and thought 'Honey'. Then i read the bottle and thought 'Doh! My bad'. I LOVE a glass of dry mead once a year (it's in my sig!!!) but i don't rate it in beer or cider as a flavour at all.....

cgravier said:
i usually dont drink beers much stronger than 6 percnt abv, unless its chimay or duval, but this beer drinks like its 5 percent. totally awesome beer!

actually, i think Arrogant Bastard is 7.2% or 7.7%. i think the Ruinationa IPA from Stone is 7.&%.

the AB is awesome!:drunk:

Dude said:
the airlock coming out of the top of the can is actually a gallon of cider, behind the beers... :)
* Delayed shock *

* cannot compute......*

Caplan said:
Well I'm a wimp, and I still like my ales a little sweet. I've got to say I kind of like this stuff...the hint of honey, balanced with the hop flavor, tastes pretty good to me.

El Pistolero said:
Well I'm a wimp, and I still like my ales a little sweet. I've got to say I kind of like this stuff...the hint of honey, balanced with the hop flavor, tastes pretty good to me.

I was just going to revive this thread tonight--I got to try some of the beers I bought last week....

Drinking a Ruination right now. It is good--but my beer geek tastebuds are picking up an astringency in it. Tat is killing it for me. Don't know exactly what it is. Need more research. :drunk:

Tried Clipper City Loose Cannon Hops3 tonight as well. I'd say it is very similar to my Lake Walk Pale Ale recipe--but a touch sweeter and more hoppy, of course, it is supposedly triple hopped! It is pretty good!

Also got to try the Red Rocket Ale from BR. Good, but I was expecting more and kept thinking it was missing something. It sure did have some hops in it though!

Have you gotten to the Murphey's yet ? Stout is my weakness ( along with all other forms of alcohol except Yeagermeister and peppermint anything), but I particularly dig that one. What did the single run you in Va. ?

El P.- Once again, I like the new avatar. Kinda like A Clockwork Hop, there. Things must be pretty slow in the pro psychic biz for you to have time to dig that one up. Must say that your avatars never cease to amaze and entertain me. You're just cool like that.:cool:

Brother P. ! I've fallen into the trap of not brewing= not drinking. Hope the Beer Gods ( as well as His Noodleiness ) will forgive me for my lapse. I'm planning on a comeback soon. I have one more cigarette left. I'll smoke it soon. No more after that. That frees up $120 a month to spend on more noble pursuits, like brewing and ( virtually ) hanging out with a bunch of E- Drunks. No place else I'd rather be. I've missed it here. It's good to be back. Hell, it's good to be the Monkey again !:drunk:

sudsmonkey said:
Have you gotten to the Murphey's yet ? Stout is my weakness ( along with all other forms of alcohol except Yeagermeister and peppermint anything), but I particularly dig that one. What did the single run you in Va. ?

I did. Enjoyed it more than Guinness from the same widget can actually. I think it was $2.15 but don't quote me on that.

Last one I bought at the local HBS cost me around $3.50. You got better prices there.
Incidentally: Why the name change ? You'll always be Orrelse( or else what ?) to me.:D

Maybe you could be The Artist Formerly Known As Orrelse. How 'bout O Diddy ? Maybe O'Dude ? Has a nice Irish ring to it, doesn't it ? Paddy O'Dude, from Killarney. Pleased to meet ya ! Fancy a pint ?
Just trying to help you find yourself, man. If you can't help the ones you drink with, ......something.:drunk:

sudsmonkey said:
Maybe you could be The Artist Formerly Known As Orrelse. How 'bout O Diddy ? Maybe O'Dude ? Has a nice Irish ring to it, doesn't it ? Paddy O'Dude, from Killarney. Pleased to meet ya ! Fancy a pint ?
Just trying to help you find yourself, man. If you can't help the ones you drink with, ......something.:drunk:

glad you back too suds! to vanish so much.....

i wasn't too cazy about the Ruination either dude. was good, but i was expecting something more over the top from Stone. the Racer 5 is WAY better a brew......

cgravier said:

According to the BJCP, Arrogant Bastard is a "stock ale." The way it's laid out in their guidelines, it looks to be a subcategory of Imperial IPA.

that's hard to buy? it ain't a PA, and i know everyone agrees with that. it is as dark as a hop rod, and that is almost a brown ale. sure darker than a amber....

Back