From Fermenter to gallon jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HippeeSandee

Reaction score
I finished my fermenting a little longer that is recommended. tastes pretty good

Now do I put add anything (raisins or sugar etc) and airlocks on the gallon jugs or do I put caps on and let mellow out.. then bottle...

Hippeesandee :ban:

Bungs and airlocks usually best, but if you are 100% sure fermentation is done and it's not gassy, I guess you could cap it. I always airlock everything, even wines I'm aging for 6 months or more.

Adding more fermentables is up to you- I wouldn't this time but maybe do it next time in one gallon.

OK I put them in gallon jugs, there is no activity, put an airlock on it with some vodka and a few raisins .... still getting some residue at the bottom, guess that is good or will I always get residue even after I bottle it..

Planning on putting it into bottles in a couple of weeks, anxious to see if I can use a bottle capper

HippeeSandee

OK I put them in gallon jugs, there is no activity, put an airlock on it with some vodka and a few raisins .... still getting some residue at the bottom, guess that is good or will I always get residue even after I bottle it..

Planning on putting it into bottles in a couple of weeks, anxious to see if I can use a bottle capper

HippeeSandee

The residue is flocculating yeast cells. They're basically falling out of suspension, and you'll be seeing that buildup for awhile. A clearing agent like isinglass or gelatin can help clear it up, along with putting it in the fridge, but it's not required.

Adding raisins is adding some fermentables, so it will still ferment but slowly. If you add more fermentables, make sure you give enough time before bottling. Add fermentables today and then planning on bottling in two weeks is surely rushing it.

YooperBrew said:
Adding raisins is adding some fermentables, so it will still ferment but slowly. If you add more fermentables, make sure you give enough time before bottling. Add fermentables today and then planning on bottling in two weeks is surely rushing it.

Yeah I completely agree. Cider is more of the 'set and forget' types of ferments, in my mind anyways. If you add anything make sure you extend your time frame to allow for everything to be happy :D

Back