accidentally used black patent instead of black barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanN

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm brewing a recipe that calls for 0.8 oz black barley and the lhbs told me black patent was the same thing. After doing some research it looks like this may have been a bad mistake. The recipe calls for 11 pounds of grain total (yoopers oatmeal stout). I'm half way through the mash.... Anything I can do to fix this? Thanks!

I actually prefer black malt to roasted barley in stouts, I seem to get less intense roast with it (I think that recipe is roasted barley not malted, just the dark version at 500L). People talk about the harsh charcoal taste you can get but I've never experienced it. Maybe if you overdo it. I think you will be fine, but maybe Yoop will chime in and give her advice.

Thanks that makes me feel better. At this point I think my only option is to keep going and see how this turns out. I brew frequently but rarely make stouts so I'm unfamiliar with the ingredients and how they affect taste.

Back