1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I've read a few pages of this and don't want to read over 100 pages to see if the info is here or not.
What do you guys use for 1 gallon batch fermenters?
You would need to have at least five quarts of space so that you have some headspace if you don't want to loose a pint or so to blowoff.

I've never brewed less than 5 gallons and would like to step it up to 10 gallons, but for experimenting it could be nice to do a small batch.
I've even got a few one gallon jug coolers that I've thought would be a good tun for quite a few one gallon recipe versions.

I've also thought about doing a five gallon batch, splitting it into five one gallon batches and change up the yeast, hops or whatever. Maybe do a second mash and add another grain to one of them to see what it does to the flavor. You get the idea.

Five one gallon jugs doesn't seem like a great way to go due to the waste from the blowoff that I mentioned.

one gallon glass carboys with a blow-off tube, until after christmas when (hopefully) i will have acquired a couple of 2 gallon plastic fermentation buckets.

Hey gang, so I brewed my first 5 gal batch this past weekend and am looking to get a couple of 1 gal batches going as well(need the gear to do it). It seems 2 gal buckets are preferred over the 1 gal glass growlers, but one question I have is should I get an additional 2 gal bucket to use for bottling? Or is siphoning directly from the fermenting bucket still the recommended method?

thank all!

i would get the extra bucket. the only reason i haven't gone out and acquired a FEW is that i need to wait to see what the big guy in the red suit brings, or SWMBO will be ticked.

i currently use carboys for everything. i guarantee that will change as soon as i can change it.

use a bottling bucket, and a fermenting bucket, and any other kind of bucket you can think of, just like the big batch boys.

Hey gang, so I brewed my first 5 gal batch this past weekend and am looking to get a couple of 1 gal batches going as well(need the gear to do it). It seems 2 gal buckets are preferred over the 1 gal glass growlers, but one question I have is should I get an additional 2 gal bucket to use for bottling? Or is siphoning directly from the fermenting bucket still the recommended method?

thank all!

I rack to my big batch bottling bucket and bottle like I usually do. Not perfect but works...

Side note...I tried to drill a hole into a 2-gallon frosting bucket for my bottling spigot. Tried is the key word...my 1" bore chewed up the plastic:drunk:...thank goodness I got for free.

Okay so there's only 1 downside to a small batch... I nailed my Stout this time... It's friggin fantastic!! I gotta brew this again and I just opened the first of 12 brews! Lol

image-1585218369.jpg

I bottle with my autosiphin and bottle adapter. I transfer to a clean carboy and bottle from there.

That's how I do it, but I usually just bottle straight from secondary.

And here is my pipeline as of tonight
400165_10101969570446968_1198529542_n.jpg

Left to right: Bochet Mead, Rye Weizenbock, English Barleywine, Black IIPA, Blackberry Cider. Just bottled up the Black IIPA.

cheesecake said:
Thats not a downside. More reason to brew it again

I know huh! I just got my mini auto siphon from Midwest today. Can't wait to give it a try. The normal batch size auto siphon was killing me in my small batches. I bet this will be a good investment.

JollyIsTheRoger said:
That's how I do it, but I usually just bottle straight from secondary.

And here is my pipeline as of tonight

Left to right: Bochet Mead, Rye Weizenbock, English Barleywine, Black IIPA, Blackberry Cider. Just bottled up the Black IIPA.

Jolly... Good looking pipeline going there!

Hate to keep harping on the same thing, but - is anyone able to advise on what (if any) adjustments I need to make to the amount of priming sugar necessary when it comes time to bottle my stout?

On another note: Jolly, that's a hell of a lineup! Count me as jealous as well. I've totally been bitten by the bug, and as soon as the semester is over, I'll be brewing again as well.

@cheesecake: That, my good man, looks deelishus. Nice job! :rockin:

Hate to keep harping on the same thing, but - is anyone able to advise on what (if any) adjustments I need to make to the amount of priming sugar necessary when it comes time to bottle my stout?

On another note: Jolly, that's a hell of a lineup! Count me as jealous as well. I've totally been bitten by the bug, and as soon as the semester is over, I'll be brewing again as well.

@cheesecake: That, my good man, looks deelishus. Nice job! :rockin:

If you have a gallon of wort/beer then 1 oz of priming sugar will be fine. You don't need to adjust based on the OG, just on the volume (assuming it is done fermenting) I use the little brewer's best conditioning tablets to simplify things for myself.

And thanks, I brew once a week and once a month I do something other than beer. Trying to figure out what I am going to do this month now.

Just ordered the northern brewer white house honey ale and the honey porter. I really like the northern brewer kits.

Does anyone know of a place still selling citra and/or amarillo hops? I think I just missed the 2012 harvest...

cheesecake said:
Well here it is.....northern brewer black ipa

cheesecake said:
Just ordered the northern brewer white house honey ale and the honey porter. I really like the northern brewer kits.

I have been looking at the northern brewer kits. They seem priced a little better then the Brooklyn kits (even though they Include yeast.)

Have to share this!
I really enjoy working with fellow homebrewers.

My theme for bottles and labels is black and white. When I do another's recipe I try to do a generic label to give them credit for when others drink the beer.
I contacted Smallbatchhomebrew after brewing a couple of 1.25 gallon batches (Hop Zombie and Biscuits 'n Honey)and Will has replied a couple of times with tweaks to a label for his brew. it is in color and in his brown and green theme originally. I greyscaled it and printed it in windows as a wallet size (9 labels per page)

Want to thank him and I think it is awesome for a company to be so responsive.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/albums/under-the-porch-brewing-7273.html

sorry to have to link to the photo but attaching the image didn't work
Ben

Just cracked open Brewing Classic Styles "Through a mild darkly" an English mild from my 1 gallon English beer samples.

I highly recommend this recipe. Nice malt layer with the bitter coming from the Black patent malt. The bitterness is very mild and fleeting because the pale chocolate malt takes over. The EKG provides a nice hop back bone and depth.

This is easily an all day drinking beer.

Can only hope the ESB is this good. Will know in 3 more weeks.

Today I had my first OMG moment with one of my beers.

I opened my first wheat a couple weeks ago, and it was decent, but a little harsh.

Opened the second one today... Oh wow, what a difference those two weeks made.

Lesson learned today for me.

Btw... I really liked that beer.

I realize its obvious, but I like the picture. I find that I brew more often when I make pre-measured "kits" of the grains, hops, additions. If I see some extra time, I can choose a style and go. I usually have 2 to 4 ready. I use free icing buckets from the bakery.

20121201_160550.jpg

Nice, I am constantly changing my mind on what to brew all week so I usually don't even know what I am doing until the day before when I need to buy my stuff. Think I have decided on a super low gravity Scottish 60/- for this week, but next week is my off week for beer so I have to figure out what I am going to mix up. Blackberries are on sale right now(for some reason) so I may do a blackberry mead(did a blackberry cider last month) and maybe a skeeter pee just for the hell of it. Any thoughts on nonbeer things that have come out well that don't need forever to condition? I am already waiting for that cider(which I am cold crashing soon to clear and will bottle up this week) and a bochet(which may or may not be racked to secondary this week).

bleme said:
If I am only brewing a gallon, the LAST think I want is an easy all day drinker. That means my batch only lasts me one day! :ban:

Dude..,, that's friggin funny shi^* right there!! Lol

I picked up a DFH 90 and I gotta say I am bummed I spent $11 on this 4 pack. Heck, that's a small batch of my hoppy IPA that's WayYyyyyyy better! Btw, my homebrew is on the left

image-2874854203.jpg

image-1331240081.jpg

In response to a question about 5 pages back...

I brew in a 1 gallon ocean spray juice bottle. My "1 gallon" batches are usually 3.5 quarts though. If I want a full 1 gallon, or think I'll get a really vigorous fermentor, I'll pour some into a 2 quart bottle.

FYI: The larger buon vino stoppers will fit over the threads on the ocean spray bottle if you flip the stopper over. Then it will seal on the plastic collar below the original broken seal ring. The small ones fit very nicely in neck of normal 2 quart plastic juice bottles.
https://www.brewgadgets.com/p-266-buon-vino-versatile-stopper.aspx

I picked up a DFH 90 and I gotta say I am bummed I spent $11 on this 4 pack. Heck, that's a small batch of my hoppy IPA that's WayYyyyyyy better! Btw, my homebrew is on the left

Agreed on the DFH 90. The bottles I've had have tasted so hot that the hops were over powered. Maybe it was an anomaly, but I would much rather have the 60.

Back