Low efficiency with Canada Malting Co. Pale malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So I recently picked up a 55 lber of the Canada Malting Co pale malt as a cheap base malt. Since I have started using this malt, I have noticed that recipes which ranged from 74-80% efficiency are now coming in at around 68-70%. Is my barley crusher starting to slip or could this possibly be due to the change from US 2-row from my LHBS (breiss?) to this canadian malt?

You know, I've been wondering the same thing. I bought a couple sacks of this grain and my eff has dropped down to about 73% from the 82-85% that I got w/ the Briess 2-Row. I think I'm going to try something different (MO maybe) when what i have is gone, but it might be a while since brew days have been few and far between lately. I have pretty much a whole bag left, but I'm curious about what will happen when I switch base grains again.

I use that same grain and the batch I brewed this weekend came in at 77%.

Tsouke said:
I use that same grain and the batch I brewed this weekend came in at 77%.

Have you brewed the "same" recipe w/ a different base malt? I wonder if there is a difference.

Tsouke, what is your normal efficiency range and do you always use canada malting? My hypothesis is that the malt is what is causing the lower efficiency but I am also going to wait until I finish off the bag before I use my usual Briess 2-row again. Looking forward to testing my theory.

When growing grains there can be quite a difference in the size of the kernels. It may be that the kernel size is smaller this year and thus they aren't getting crushed as well as last year's crop.

Also it could be crop year. This years malt barley is far from the best. Are you comparing a new bag of Canada malt to old bags of Briess? Chances are, if you got two maltsters from the same year, they may both have dropped in efficiency.

Sorry for the delay responding, don't check in here much. Yes, I usually use Canada Malting for my base malt. Always been happy with the efficiency (15 years of brewing with a variety of different grain supplies). I am usually in the high 70's to sometimes low 80's when I get lucky. Not sure what to say about your low efficiency, guess I am not much help troubleshooting for you besides saying my experience with them.

Are you usinbg your expected extract from the "Average" extract published in tools such as Mr Malty, or the analysis that was published for this grain?

FWIW I've noticed a drop off in my efficiency since my last bulk buy (late Sept) I'm using Great Western, though.

Are you usinbg your expected extract from the "Average" extract published in tools such as Mr Malty, or the analysis that was published for this grain?

I looked up the malt analysis for the lot I had. My bag is gone, so I'll be curious to see what happens when I switch over to the Briess two row that I have.

So I recently picked up a 55 lber of the Canada Malting Co pale malt as a cheap base malt. Since I have started using this malt, I have noticed that recipes which ranged from 74-80% efficiency are now coming in at around 68-70%. Is my barley crusher starting to slip or could this possibly be due to the change from US 2-row from my LHBS (breiss?) to this canadian malt?

If it's the Pale Ale Malt, it has a lower diastatic power, so you're going to get a lower efficiency compared to regular 2-row.

I use Canada Malting Co 2 row and routinely hit 80% eff

I've never had issues with Canada malting...might it be a tad smaller kernel of grain and require a tighter crush. Look at the crushed grain to confirm a thorough crush

Worth a second look at the B/C mill, might need an adjustment.

Canada malting is good stuff IME...

I've never had issues with Canada malting...might it be a tad smaller kernel of grain and require a tighter crush. Look at the crushed grain to confirm a thorough crush

Worth a second look at the B/C mill, might need an adjustment.

Canada malting is good stuff IME...

I crush the living sh%t out of mine lol. i cant tell you what it is but a credit card will just pass thou it

Latest posts

Back