Belgian Bitter Orange Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterTipsy

Reaction score
=========================================

[size=+1]Belgian Bitter Orange Ale [/size]

=========================================

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Batch Size: 5.50 gal

Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.8 IBUs
Estimated ABV: 6.5 %

==========================================

Ingredients:

Code:
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
6.00 gal              Filtered Tap Water                       Water         1        -             

8.0 oz                Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)                  Grain         2        4.8 %         
8.0 oz                Caramel Vienne 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM)   Grain         3        4.8 %         
8.0 oz                Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)                    Grain         4        4.8 %         
4.0 oz                Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM)          Grain         5        2.4 %         

8 lbs                 LME Pilsen Light (Briess) (2.3 SRM)      Extract       6        76.2 %        
12.0 oz               Dememera Sugar (2.0 SRM)                 Sugar         7        7.1 %         

0.75 oz               Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           8        13.4 IBUs     
1.50 oz               Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min        Hop           9        16.2 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 20.0 mins)     Spice         10       -             
1.75 oz               Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min         Hop           11       6.2 IBUs      

1.0 pkg               SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL/Ferm #T-58)   Yeast         12       -             

2.00 oz               Fuggles [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days      Hop           13       0.0 IBUs

This batch turned out surprisingly well. It was the first time I used Pacifica hops. They have a nice orange flavor that is different from bitter orange peel. They have a flavor that is closer to the flesh of the orange.

The recipe looks really sweet and carmely but it has enough bitterness to balance the malt. It tastes a little more bitter than the IBU indicates. The bitterness is citrusy and lingers nicely for a short duration.

I actually wanted this beer to be a little sweet from the honey malt, but I wouldn't call it sweet. I could see using 4oz of lactose to sweeten it a touch. I also like it as is.

The t-58 added a cinnamon/nutmeg note to this brew. The hops provided orange flavor and a mild floral nose. The malt bill looks gross, but the flavor and aroma are pleasing.

Another observation:

Breiss Cara Vienna and Belgian Caraviene are not the same thing. They have similar flavors, but the Belgian version seems 50% stronger in flavor. The Breiss version was good in this brew though.

Another observation:

This beer has excellent head retention. It leaves a nice lacing of foam on the glass. 5/5 on appearance for this beer. Light amber/orange and foam lacing. Looks better than 80% of the beers I purchase.

Thank you, 4oz. of steeped oats!

What did you want people to say? I made something similar but more of an autumn spiced orange ale with cultured hoegaarden yeast.

I wanted people to say this beer looks like a hot mess of caramel malt and mismatched hops.

(or something similar)

Back