Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...so cool to see gainesville on here...haha...

Thanks for all previous classes! Got half a dozen AG batches under the belt, couldn't of done it with out your guys help at the shop.

See yah then!

The all-grain class was great! Just as good was the free samples of beer. Loved that German dark lager...not so much a fan of the Belgian blonde ale though. I think Belgians generally don't sit well with me.

Anyway, thanks for the class. I came right home and started up an extract batch. All-grain is next though. Need to go check on my boil.

Michael

Here's the recipe for that Dark German Lager (a "Vienna Schwarzbier," if it can be classified as anything I guess):

Code:
% 	LB 	OZ 	Malt or Fermentable 	ppg 	°L
---------------------------------------------------------------
69% 	7 	0 	Vienna Malt 	        36 	3 	~
20% 	2 	0 	Munich Malt 	        37 	9 	~
5% 	0 	8 	CaraBohemian 	        34 	80 	~
5% 	0 	8 	Aromatic Malt 	        36 	26 	~
1% 	0 	2 	Carafa III, Special     32     525 	~

boil 	60 mins  1.5   Tettnanger 	pellet 	5.1
boil 	15 mins* 1.0   Spalt 	        pellet 	4.9 (NO CHILL TRANSFER ADDITION)
boil 	15 mins* 0.5   Tettnanger 	pellet 	5.1 (NO CHILL TRANSFER ADDITION)
boil   10 mins   1     Whirlflock tablet

Saflager w 34/70 - 2 packets, rehydrated in room temp water

Water: 5gal Reverse Osmosis Water, 2.5 gal "Spring" Water from store
Mash: Single Infusion at 152F for 60min (5.2 Stabilizer in mash)
Sparge: 164F for 10min

Chilling method: NO CHILL, 
Then put into No Chill tank into fridge to get it down to pitching 
temps before pitching yeast.

Starting Gravity: 1.056
Ending Gravity: 1.015

Fermentation Schedule: 
5 days at 52F, sample was at 1.024 by 5th day
5 days at 65F, diacytl rest, sample tasted great!
14 days at 35F, cold crash, in secondary
45 days at 35F, in keg, lagering

I've done this beer once before as an Ale using Kolsch Yeast. It came pretty close to the lager with a little time, although I prefer the lager version. But if you can't do a true lager, the kolsch route is pretty darn close.

Hi everyone, it was great meeting you all yesterday. The AG class was awesome! I got a boil of Wheat Beer going as I write.

Anyway, thanks for the class and thanks for all the homebrew.

Gainesville thread resurrection - about time!

Hope to see you all at the tailgate on Saturday!

Lol...thanks. It was my first IPA recipe and second overall recipe. Just killed the keg last night. It is next up to do again this Sunday. It was quite tasty...drank a couple flat pints the night I kegged it up and could have drank more.

Just figured I would slide by an say howdy. Just got intersted in this and boought a Mr Beer to see what this is all about. After a few hours on this site reading all of the reviews and a ton of threads I am definately looking forward to my kit being delivered. Any place to get ingredients like Mother Earth or any place else? I hate to order from the net since my local shop could use the money and I get pretty much instant satisfaction. But if there isnt a decent local outlet in Gainesville what about Ocala? I live in Bronson so it is equidistant to go to either. Otherwise I have found a ton of online dealers who will fill the bill if needed. I got disabled in Iraq so I dont have any kidneys and have to watch my fluid intake closely so some of the sppontaniety will be gone, but I can always make some fine quality stuff for that occasional opportunity when it comes along. Have fun and looking forward to meeting some like minded folk here and there.
Bob

As far as I know the only place to get ingredients in the Gainesville area is Hoggetowne Ale Works: http://www.hoggetowne.com/

But it is a fine store and I haven't yet found anything I needed in a recipe that they didn't have. Also a good place for sacks of grain and their pricing is competitive with internet pricing (especially when you factor in the shipping).

And Welcome!

I'm just north of you in Gilchrist county. Hoggetown is a great place to shop. I had a problem there a ways back, and was contacted personally by Barron, the owner, and he explained the reason for my problem, and that the employee responsible was long-since dealt with and fired. After that, all's been great. And the employees are very knowledgeable about our hobby and passion, and can always offer great suggestions for recipe's, ingredients, and equipment.

Welcome, and holler if you ever need local assistance...

I'm interested in joining a home brew club to learn more about brewing and beer judging. Does anyone have an opinion on the clubs in our area? The hogtown brewers seem to be the most organized and active club, but I'd like to get a few opinions.

I'm interested in joining a home brew club to learn more about brewing and beer judging. Does anyone have an opinion on the clubs in our area? The hogtown brewers seem to be the most organized and active club, but I'd like to get a few opinions.

Actually, no. I'll be interested as well in hearing some responses from local folks. I'm out in the country a bit, so don't really know anyone in the GV homebrew scene. Wouldn't mind meeting up some though...

Been a while since I have checked in. Got to get the kegs all full before the hot weather sets in. Time to start brewing!

Nice to see this thread resurrected!

We'll have an all grain brew class at Hoggetowne on Sunday from 1-5 if anyone is interested.

It would definitely be nice to meet up with some local folks. Not sure about the class, but I'll be heading by Hoggetowne this weekend for a holiday brew session on Monday.

Also, anyone have an updated water chemistry report for GRU? The one in the water report thread is a bit old, and I wondered if it's changed much

It doesn't change much - I got the report from one of their engineers three times over three or so years, and the numbers are very close each time.

Hey man, I think this is what you're looking for: https://www.gru.com/Pdf/waterReports/GRUWaterReport.pdf.
I've looked at that report from GRU before, but it is missing basically everything that is important for brewing (e.g., calcium, carbonates, sulfates, magnesium, etc.)

It doesn't change much - I got the report from one of their engineers three times over three or so years, and the numbers are very close each time.
Thanks...that's great to know.

I've looked at that report from GRU before, but it is missing basically everything that is important for brewing (e.g., calcium, carbonates, sulfates, magnesium, etc.)

I see that now. I called GRU and they gave me some info, apparently GRU isn't allowed to put information, like calcium levels, in the report unless they are above a certain threshold. Here's what I was told on the phone, I have a contact email address if more information is needed:

1. They use free chlorine (easier to remove by filtering or boiling than the other type of additive)
  2. Calcium = 27 mg/liter
  3. Magnesium = 17 mg/liter
  4. Sodium = 11.3 mg/liter
  5. Chloride = 27 mg/liter
  6. Sulfate = 71.8 mg/liter
  7. Carbonate = 145
  8. Alkalinity = 55

Just found out there's a gainesville thread here! I went over to hoggetowne today and the customer service and variety of equipment and ingredients is awesome. They didn't treat me like the newb that I am and even showed me a couple things I didn't know. Can't wait for the next class!!

On a separate note I just cracked open my primary to take a gravity reading and even after just a week it tastes wonderful. I can't wait to see how it is after another week or two.

Happy Brewing,
Chris

Welcome to the forum. Most of the employees of that shop either are active posters here, or were in the past. And every single employee of that store makes great beer. I've drank gallons of their stuff in the last 2 years that I've been going there. Had a glass of Danny's Chili Porter yesterday, it was very tasty. Def best spiced beer ive ever had.

Just found out there's a gainesville thread here! I went over to hoggetowne today and the customer service and variety of equipment and ingredients is awesome. They didn't treat me like the newb that I am and even showed me a couple things I didn't know. Can't wait for the next class!!

On a separate note I just cracked open my primary to take a gravity reading and even after just a week it tastes wonderful. I can't wait to see how it is after another week or two.

Happy Brewing,
Chris

The folks at Hoggetown are great. And you sound hooked too. I started with a Mr beer on Dec 22nd, and I am just about to do my first AG in a week or two. All I have left to assemble is a 10 gallon MLT. The sculpture is getting designed and redesigned multiple times by my engineer ( me on better days). So welcome to the forum and the hobby. Hope to see ya around at the brew shop one day maybe.
Bob

New here so I thought that I would give this a bump. I'll be @ the brew class that HTA will be having on July 8th.
I'm new to the home brew and will be reading lot's on here trying to learn.

Welcome to the hobby and the forum. I attended that event about a year ago. It was very informative and a lot of fun. We're lucky to have a great homebrew store in our community.

Any Gville folks a member of the local brew club? Just curious as to how it is, good people, worth the time etc? I have been a member of other type clubs before that were not so welcome and seemed very new member unfriendly. Would like to know if this is kinda the same deal. Thank you for any insight.

Any Gville folks a member of the local brew club? Just curious as to how it is, good people, worth the time etc? I have been a member of other type clubs before that were not so welcome and seemed very new member unfriendly. Would like to know if this is kinda the same deal. Thank you for any insight.

I'm a new member of the Hogtown Brewers, http://www.hogtownbrewers.org/. I think it's a great club. They're friendly, knowledgeable, and down to earth. The club has a lot of activities and events. There is the Hogtown Brew-off competition, beer fest, various group brews, pub crawls, etc. Easily the best money I've spent in homebrewing.

I'll second Pie_man's sentiments about the Hogtown Brewers... A very knowledgeable and friendly bunch, and a good club to be a part of.

Great! Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate that. After I get my first brew or two under my belt, I will more then likely send in my app.

I had a good time @ the brew class yesterday. I ended up buying a few things from the shop after the class, so I am on my way to my first brew now. I just need to build my tun and figure out what way I want to go for a brew pot.

This thread was going crazy awhile back, now everyone abandoned it?

I don't know about you guys but I am ready for some fall football and cool weather brewing.

I drilled my kettle last weekend and in the final stages of rebuilding my new/old kegerator along with gathering the rest of my brewing tools.

Back