What size Shank do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/4" nipple works for 3/16" beerline. The tubing will squeeze on.

If you're using 1x material for the collar, get the 3". If you're using 2x material, go 4".

What about the thickness of the shank for the perlick faucet? All the same?

Thanks for the help Bobby, you're my guardian homebrew angel, hahhaha

The shanks with nipples attached like those measure a little differently. The 3" one is literally from the faucet nut on the front to the tip of the nipple on the back. That leaves only 1" for the collar thickness. That's why I said if you're using something like 2x6 lumber for the collar, you'll need the 4" one. All shank diameters are completely standard and fit all faucets.

I went with 4" shanks on a 2x6 collar.

Wanted to be sure.
Chest_Bigger_2.jpg

Finished my collar build yesterday. Went with 2x6's for the interior and then used 1x8 for more decorative look. Wondering if the 4" shank will work for this collar width?

Assuming you laid the 1 by against the 2 by, the total thickness is 2-1/4", so a four inch shank should work fine. If you look at the picture directly above your post, which shows four inch shanks on just a 2 by, there's more than enough length to handle the extra 1 by thickness...

Cheers!

i am building an insulated collar, final thickness will be 3". will the 4 1/8" shank work?

Back