Stirring/Rousing/Agitating yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherT515

Reaction score
First time using WLP039-Nottingham yeast. According to White Labs this yeast has a high flocculation rate, which is something I am unfamiliar with. The attendant at my LHBS told me that if I experience a stuck fermentation that I may need to rouse/agitate the yeast cake back into suspension.

Well, I had some difficulties keeping the room in which I was fermenting as warm as I would have liked and it appears as if the krausen has fallen (after 3 days, not totally unusual). The airlock has stoppped moving completely.

If I check my gravity today and I have not hit my FG what should I do? We're dealing with an oatmeal stout, so clarity is not of the biggest concern.

Would it be unwise to give the carboy a little swirl?

Swirling is what I do, although that yeast forms a really tight cake that swirling is probably not going to stir up very much. You could also try poking it a bit with a sanitized racking cane to break it up.

Back