Drilled too large of a hole. Is there a simple solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodonblood

Reaction score
In an attempt to use CPVC instead of stainless bulkheads and valves I drilled a hole that's close to an inch in diameter in to BOTH of my brand new aluminum pots. I guess this is my first true lesson in home brewing. I'm going to buy the stainless equipment now but is there any simple and cheap way to save the pots? Could I possibly but a bulkhead with a large enough outer diameter to plug the hole enough so it won't leak?

Thanks for the help guys!

In an attempt to use CPVC instead of stainless bulkheads and valves I drilled a hole that's close to an inch in diameter in to BOTH of my brand new aluminum pots. I guess this is my first true lesson in home brewing. I'm going to buy the stainless equipment now but is there any simple and cheap way to save the pots? Could I possibly but a bulkhead with a large enough outer diameter to plug the hole enough so it won't leak?

Thanks for the help guys!

CPVC is good to 200F degrees max maybe less and your wort boils at 212F.

Actually I found, and didn't save, a FDA test that showed that CPVC got to 225 without leeching any chemicals as long as it's not under pressure, but that's nether here nor there. There were many issues that caused me to scrap the CPVC and now I'm trying to do it right with stainless.

If I were u... I would look for a 1 inch stainless steel washer and solder it in yourself or u may be able to find someone to wield it in for you and then try again with the hole size.

In the DIY secion there is a thread how to solder stainless steel

Here

Maybe a reducing bushing? I cant post the pic now but grainger has them.

Hex-Reducing-Bushing-1LTC5_AS01.jpeg

Hey Bloodonblood,

I think I may have found the part for you. Look at more beers web site hardware section there's a ss bushing 1 in MPT x 1/2 in FPT part # H645 that plus 2 ss washers 2 high temp o rings and a ss nut. If H645 is not long enough try Mc Master Carr for longer version. Hope this helps you.

Soldering stainless to aluminum is tricky, and no offense, but your DIY track record may suggest that such a task might end in tears.

I would go with a reducing bushing as shown by lschiavo. Get the bushing and a corresponding locknut, then make a silicone gasket out of a oven mat.

I've actually done that kind of soldering many times in pro slot car racing in the mid-90's. I've got the awards to prove it. Far higher stress levels than a cooking pot. Silver solder & acid flux make a far stronger joint than the regular stuff.
Having said that,I forgot about the reducers. Being a tuner guy,I shoulda remembered that one. Darn cars been at that dang body shop too long. Gettin outta practice. Oops.

Stainess washer and silicone O-ring worked for me, been brewing with the pot 5 years or so without a leak. I would just be concerned how big the too big hole was.

Thanks for the help! Ill look in to all the options that y'all have brought up. Thanks guys. If anyone has anymore alternatives just post them up!

Latest posts

Back