1st time cider yeast starter help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IIINuns

Reaction score
I'm making a blueberry cider, but need to know how much apple juice to use for my starter. I did a search but can't find anything. I was going to use 16 oz, as if I was doing a beer yeast starter.

If you're new to cider, I would recommend using a yeast that doesn't require a starter. For example, the Vintner's Harvest wine yeasts can just be pitched and stirred, very easy and effective. If I'm going to make a starter with one packet of yeast for 5-6 gallons of must, I find 4-6 oz. of apple juice to work well.

Thanks Papagayo. I ended up doing 16 oz of apple juice and 1/4 cup of corn sugar, which I diluted in 120 degrees of juice for 10 minutes. Then cooled to 75 degrees and pitched the yeast last night. Woke up this morning to that wonder blurp blurp of the bubbles coming out of the airlock.

I'm using the White Labs Belgian Golden Ale Yeast to get a different flavor than what I've tried.

Glad to hear it went well. I'm sure the yeast loved your cider. I hope the ale yeast works out for you. A lot of people also use lager yeast. It's fun to play around with all the different varieties.

Back