3711 for a Wibier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolly

Reaction score
I want to brew the honey hibiscus wit from ahs. I've done their standard witbier with the 3944...but what about instead using the french saison 3711 strain? Will it be more dry, crisp, slightly tart, and refreshing?

If you do it will be a saison not a wit...the only guideline to a saison is that you use saison yeast...for an authentic weizen, let the yeast be the source of the typical flavor. A good experiment would be to split a batch do half 3944 and half 3711 and compare and contrast.

I want to brew the honey hibiscus wit from ahs. I've done their standard witbier with the 3944...but what about instead using the french saison 3711 strain? Will it be more dry, crisp, slightly tart, and refreshing?

I used 3711 thinking it'd be kind of like a witbeer. It's dry as far as FG goes, but it doesn't really taste like it. It has an impressive body, for being so dry.

I got NOTHING as far as tartness goes from it.

What I plan on doing is using 3944 in primary fermentation, cold crashing and using 3711 in secondary.

Went to LHBS today and they had two very fresh smack packs of 3944 and 3711, neither one over 2 or 3 weeks I think.

Tomorrow I am going to do a partial mash wheat/pale Belgian thing and do a primary with 3944 for 5-7 days, then rack and in secondary I'll add the smack pack of 3711.

Considering I just spent $13 for yeast on this batch, I'll have to make a point of saving it. I realize the stuff I save for the 3711 will have 3944 in it, but whatever.

Back