Oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdon

Reaction score
So I just finished making a Winter Ale using some oak chips. I searched through some extra parts I had laying around and found what I thought to be a stainless steel reducer. I used this to weight down the oak bag and went about my business, 7 days later I took out the bag and threw away the wood chips and also the reducing nut(accidentally). A few weeks later I was looking through the parts bag and found some more reducing nuts but they have turned a slight pink color. I know that the nut I used looked stainless steel, not chromed, but like a stainless steel nut you would use for a bulkhead. Should I be worried that I might have somehow used a brass nut? Is there enough lead in that to be a danger, soaking in the beer for 7 days? Any way to check this out? Thanks

So, you soaked your nuts in a bag dipped in beer? Wrong nuts to boot? I think it should be disposed of. Put in the necessary primimng sugar, bottle the beer and send it to my brewery for proper disposal methods. Shoot me a pm for the address. Cheers

Realistically speaking now, there's no need to risk your health if there's even a slight chance of metallic particles in your brew.

+1
Yes, you have a point there huh? Dump it, its not worth the risk.
Before this turns into a debate about metal and beer, I would definately toss it and consider it lesson learned. Any unknown metal sitting in my beer is a no-no. Sorry for the misplaced sarcasm.

Latest posts

Back