Grain crusher used for oat rolling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoop

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing some sort of grain crusher. I'm not 100% sure which one yet, but at this point I'm not too concerned about the brand. I'm more concerned about the function. My wife and I are also looking at getting an oat roller so we can buy sacks of oats to make oatmeal with (for breakfast and baking and the like). It would be nice to just have one piece of equipment rather than spend the money on both. Does anyone know, or has anyone tried, adjusting their brewing grain crusher and rolling oats with it? I can't seem to find anywhere what kind of a gap oat rollers use, or if they use the same rollers as a crusher. Any thoughts?

We already have a mill to make flour, and buy 50lb bags of wheat, and the guy who sells the wheat also sells hulled oats, so I don't have to worry about that. Thanks Boo, I'll email them and ask!

A quick update for anyone interested, I've found out that oats are rolled with roller spacing between 0.014" and 0.039". The barley crusher is adjustable between 0.015" and 0.07", which means I can easily roll oats with it. The rollers are the exact same design on an oat roller as a crusher. I will be ordering one in the next while, and let everyone know how it works as a dual purpose machine!

Back