Making my beer clearer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2cmpugh

Reaction score
Good day everyone. I just tasted my second batch ever of pumpkin pie spice ale (first batch was a bavarian hefe.). It's only been in the bottles a week, but the beer still seems cloudy, and in fact it looks very similiar to my hefe. It does however taste completely different. How can I make my beer clearer?

I've been using extract kits and only leaving in the primary for three weeks.

Thanks,
Cris P.

How long has it been bottled? There are probably still a lot of yeast in suspension. Time will fix that. If it's not yeast, you can look into clarifying agents such as whirlfloc (irish moss) or gelatin. Just do a quick forum search for either of those and you're bound to find a wealth of information.

Also, give them a few weeks in bottle. In addition to more time, throw them into the fridge for about a week. The "cold crash" will help to settle out a good deal of the sediments and compact them on the bottom of the bottle. I've had my first batch in the fridge (after 3.5 weeks at room temp) for about a week and they pour clear and the sediment stays on the bottom when I pour it.

Also, give them a few weeks in bottle. In addition to more time, throw them into the fridge for about a week. The "cold crash" will help to settle out a good deal of the sediments and compact them on the bottom of the bottle. I've had my first batch in the fridge (after 3.5 weeks at room temp) for about a week and they pour clear and the sediment stays on the bottom when I pour it.

I'll try that idea. I just wanted to try one after a week to make sure all was good. I normally throw a few in the fridge the night before I plan on drinking some, but I'll leave them in the fridge a bit longer.

Does the cloudiness effect taste or anything or is it just for looks?

Thanks,
Cris P.

Back