Custom tap tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
My Beverage-Air kegerator didn't come with towers. I wanted something cool and a little different, so I ordered one up custom from ACU Metal Fab. They were easy to work with and it took less than a month from the time I first contacted them to having it in my hands.

Excuse the state of my kegerator :) Here it is, fresh out of the box.

taptower.jpg

Why is there a rectangular hole, I hear you ask? I'm glad you did!

taptower_controller.jpg

Turns out I broke the old analog thermostat on the kegerator, so I bought a Love controller to replace it. Typically, I had a typo in the measurements I sent them and the hole's a little oversize. I'll be making a bezel to hide my stupidity and shame.

-Joe

I'd just like to tell you that you've now been put on the list of people I have to either befriend, kill, or both.... honesty, that is freaking sweet. Not to be tacky, but would you mind telling (PM if you're more comfortable) me a ball park of what that cost? I've been thinking how to set mine up and didn't that even existed!

:) Sure, it was $450 shipped. Which seems like a lot, until you start pricing commercial 8-tap towers. And this was custom built to my specifications.

I couldn't be happier with it.

-Joe

Nah, Bender's ok sharing the glory :)

I fixed the too-big opening with a bezel I made from a stainless switchplate I had lying around for some reason.

taptower_bezel.jpg

Not bad.

-Joe

Controller mounted in like that is awesome, love the idea and going to put one in my gas pump I believe. Are you monitoring the kegerator with it or you forcing air into the tower and watching that?

Controller mounted in like that is awesome, love the idea and going to put one in my gas pump I believe. Are you monitoring the kegerator with it or you forcing air into the tower and watching that?
I've got the probe running down into the main section of the kegerator.

Since the bevair is so huge, I also stuck 4 kegs of water in there to help add some thermal mass and prevent it from cycling too much. I've only got 3 kegs on tap at the moment.

I ordered 8 shanks and 4 more taps, but just realized I forgot to order tailpieces and nuts. Oops.

-Joe

Very nice. Extra bezel for the controller actually looks pretty cool.

Forced air through the tower?

Rather than clutter the forums up with another thread, I figure I'll post my bar progress in here.

Just got started turning a corner of my basement into a bar area. My glassware collection has officially gotten out of hand :)

Looking to the left, we've got the Beverage-Air DD-68 kegerator. On top of it is a wood stand I had made to hold my Scotch collection. That has moved, so it now holds the commemorative glasses we have made every year for our Oktoberfest party. 2004-2009 are represented there (2005 is missing :( ).

Behind that is an Ethan Allen hutch that was given to us by my wife's aunt. It was really beat up but cleaned up beautifully.

bar2.jpg

bar5.jpg

On the right we have one of the coolest bar mirrors I've seen - John Rogers Gas Fitters &Co. Beer Engine and Pewter Pot Makers. Found it at a yard sale for $5! Under that is the matching dry sink to the hutch. That's where my whisky and whiskey collection has gone, along with some more glassware.

bar3.jpg

bar4.jpg

And I also found a bar box for lemon wedges, olives, whatever, that a friend had given me.

bar6.jpg

Coming along nicely! Still to do:

Shanks and faucets, obviously.
Find the drip trays for the kegerator.
Find a place for more glassware :drunk:
Build a faux front and bartop to go in front of the Bevair. That'll give people a place to sit, as well as help muffle the sound of the compressor a bit.

-Joe

Added some lights, fixed the (@$^!#$^^@ing) drop ceiling panels, hung up my JD Nascar hood, added some more glassware...

barlights.jpg

-Joe

WOW...incredible...well done.

I saw that bottle of PIMMS in the front row, nothing like a PIMMs number 1 on a warm summer day. :mug:

lol thanks everyone. Now I've just got to get the pipeline a'rollin' to fill those babies up! I've currently got three beers and seltzer on tap.

It will be nice to have guest taps for my homebrewer friends when they come for parties.

-Joe

Back