American Amber Ale, still flat, help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamby

Reaction score
I bottled NB American Amber Ale on April 11. The beer was then bottled with the priming suger on April 30. June 1st I tried the beer and it was flat. The beer had good flavor but no carbonation at all. I called NB and they said to repitch the yeast so I did on June 2. Today I cracked open one and no change the beer is still extremely flat. Any ideas on why this is happening? The beer is sitting in a closet and the temp is mid to low 70.

5 gallon batch?
Pre-Measured Priming Sugar?(Dextrose?)
What kind of bottles? What kind of caps?

If you did everything correctly and there is no carbonation, it makes me think that the bottles are not sealed and the CO2 is escaping.

It's a 5 gallon batch and the sugar was dissolved and then added to the bottom of the bottle bucket. The bottles are the ones that you buy from home brew stores and the caps are just plain ole caps that came with the kits. At this point the only thing that makes since is the caps are leaking, but for this to happen twice in a row on the same beer is really bad luck. I am at a complete loss. Thanks for the post

What did you use to sanitize your bottling bucket and bottles with?
Perhaps your sanitizer didn't get rinsed out of the bucket/bottles properly thus killing off your yeast.

What kind of capper are you using? Perhaps you have then wrong capper head in it and it is preventing you from getting a tight seal on your bottles...

Just a thought...
Redbeard5289

I'm using Star San and for the capper, I'm using the Red Baron capper. I've never had a problem with either of them, but that is possible.

This happened to the same batch. When I repitched the yeast it should have resolved my problem. The only thing I know to do is recap them again, but use a different type of cap. Thanks for all the help on my strange problem..

Doesn't sound like you are giving all the information. But it seems you first bottled on April 11, then checked sometime later and it wasn't carbed. So, then you put more yeast in at a later date(June 2) to try to fix it. But, you probably didn't add sugar again at that time so when you opened to put in more yeast you let all the co2 out.

I tried to fix it on June 2, but I did not add priming sugar. I didn't even think about that. So if anything I made it worse. Can I just add the sugar this time around without the yeast, or should I go ahead and re-pitch it again. MajorTom you may be on to something now. That is the only thing that makes sense to me.
Thanks

I'm not sure what to tell you now. At this point it would be total guess work as to how much sugar is in the bottles. Maybe someone with more experience with this issue could chime in with a suggestion. If the case is that you feel there is yeast in the bottles but no sugar now, I would open them and drop a couple of muntons carb tabs in each one.

Are you filling individual bottles, capping, waiting, uncapping and checking then dumping out all the bottles into a bottling bucket a second time to repitch or reprime? I don't get how are you "repitching the yeast" once they're been bottled? I think your terminology may be throwing me off.

What was the OG? What is the gravity reading now?

You could eliminate the bottle cap concern by getting a few flip-top Golsch type bottles and seeing of that improves the seal.

I'll call NB today to see what they suggest on the sugar.

My OG was 1.045. I have not checked it again. To repitch my yeast, I just sprinkled a little yeast in the same individual bottle, recapped and shook them a little. I have not poured out any beer yet. The beer has been in the same bottle since day one.
Thanks again

Okay. For a second there, I was worried about going back and forth between buckets (contamination, oxidation, etc). You should get a gravity reading. Otherwise, that first number doesn't mean much. You need to compare it to a final gravity to know 1) whether fermentation is even done (sounds like it is) and 2) estimate your alcohol content.

Back