Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, then what does "under-attenuated" mean? I've heard the term here and there but not sure what it means.

Are they going to show the "reality" of the fact that they make unattenuated, over-hopped beers? ;)

America is a nation of hop heads, what do you expect? Besides Sam Calagione has a lot of camera face time considering Beer Wars. I thought the show was going to cover the history of beer making and such. I expect they'll talk about Dogfish Head but I expect more from the Discovery Channel so I'm hoping it's a really in-depth show covering the history of Trappist ales, beer legends like Pierre Celis, Charlie Papazian, etc.

My only hope is that he isn't going to get up in front of the camera and introduce something to Joe TV Watcher that has been around for ages, and claim to have invented it or something. I see that a lot in TV shows, like the guys with the tesla coil in America's Got Talent. A bit :off: but shunting electricity through chainmail is not a talent, and it's nothing new.

And I'm a huge hypocrite by the way because I just got back from the store because I forgot to get the raisins I needed to make the Raisin d'Etre clone I am two minutes away from starting right now. ;)

Do you think all the DFH beers are like this or only certain ones? I prefer the 60 minute over anything else but I tried a Snake Dog IPA the other day and it was incredible.

90 and 120 definitely. I actually think 60 is okay. I've had a bunch of their specialty beers and almost always thought they weren't fully attenuated. Most recently, Midas Touch (gross) and Wrath of Pecant (pecans? Coulda fooled me).

I expect they'll talk about Dogfish Head but I expect more from the Discovery Channel so I'm hoping it's a really in-depth show covering the history of Trappist ales, beer legends like Pierre Celis, Charlie Papazian, etc.

Did "American Chopper" show a lot of motorcylce history? Does "Deadliest Catch" capture the history of commercial fishing? :mug:

I think it'll be a neat show to watch if it just follows Sam around, but it won't last that long.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I would notice the difference, or notice something I'm not supposed to be tasting yet. Have you spoken to others that have the same thoughts (meaning is this something known in the beer community) or is this just your opinion?

I have a 120 in the basement that's a year old. We drank a two year old one down the beach a couple weeks ago and I didn't like it. Not really beer tasting, more like a liquor.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

T

Thread number 5 on this show. One thing to realize is that a lot of us beer geeks get emails and tweets, press releases, and other things directly from the breweries, brewers and even industry trades, and that by the time it makes it to the more public news agencies (the "mainstream media") more than likely it's been 2-3 days since the more industry related news already released it (that's how the mainstream media got word of it anyway, from the same sources we did) AND more than likely it was posted on this forum, the very day the word came out.

More than likely the site you posted, got the same press release the first poster of this info on here did.

That's the nature of this place, we're like the uber site for beer geeks if we're not making the news we're breaking the news.

SO WHAT! I haven't heard it yet. This place wouldn't even exist if people didn't post, so why everyone gets attacked everytime they make a post that may have been already covered I'll never get.

timm, there's disagreement of course, but other people agree with my assessment. You actually hinted at part of it with your last post that 120 tasted like liquor.

SO WHAT! I haven't heard it yet. This place wouldn't even exist if people didn't post, so why everyone gets attacked everytime they make a post that may have been already covered I'll never get.

Agreed. If you are already receiving press releases from the discovery channel and DFH, and so are so important that you can't be bothered with message board chit-chat, then why come to a message board?

I had actually never had a DFH 90 minute until this weekend when I picked up a 4-pack at the store.

I agree that it is under attenuated. Finishes way too sweet for my tastes in an IPA.

Yup, has the 90min this past weekend as well... def too malty for my taste. I like hoppier IPAs.

BTW Three Sheets is back on the Travel Channel starting tonight. They will be showing all 52 episodes, and if it does well, may fund another season...

I'm very much looking forward to Brewed...

Hey also... if you are a Fan of Zane Lamprey... His new show "Drinking Made Easy" start Oct 6th on the HDNet channel.

http://www.hd.net/drinkingmadeeasy.html

I'll definitely have to check this out. Now I wish I had DVR to set a reminder because there is no way I'm going to remember on my own to tune in.

The Discovery Channel has a new TV show starting Nov 21st at 10pm called Brew Masters. Its a show that is going to follow the owner of Dogfish Head Brewery. Looks pretty cool.. Pass it along if you dont already know..

AB

I remember hearing about it but didn't know the date. Thanks for the update. That should be good!

Great that's all I need– more beer media. I already have beer podcasts and HBT taking up too much of my time.

Setting DVR...

I just saw the commercial for this a couple minutes ago...I liked beer wars so hopefully they bash on all the commercial Beers while there at it.

I remember hearing about it too. I also thought I heard that it got pushed back to next year. Glad it's coming out sooner though as I've been anticipating this show ever since hearing about it.

Isn't Sam a member here?

I need to finish his book. I didn't have time before and it had to back to the library.

Just saw a commercial for this today. Looks interesting. Wonder if it'll spur even more people to get into our hobby. :p

i went to a happy hour event with sam in baltimore a few weeks ago and he was leaving for italy in a few days. its from the same people that do that show "no reservations" should be on after the new episodes of dirty jobs mid to late novermber. sam is gonna be going to craft breweries all over the world spreading the gospel and what not.

I happened to be there this summer interviewing for a position. Saw the crew filming and interviewing DFH staff. I think my head might be in view in the way back at some point of the show. I'll have to look closely.

Awesome group of people over there at DFH btw. Didn't give me a job, but I guess they're still cool.

Props to Ed at Brewmasters Warehouse for having his shop be the first place that pops up when you google Brewmasters, hopefully this show will bring him more business.

A show about craft beer will be excellent. The more positive publicity that the industry receives, the better! In other news, I can't stand Sam. I'll check out the show, but if anything like his book, I dont need to sit and listen to him pleasure himself.

Back