Sprays for hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUD

Reaction score
My hops are getting eaten up bad this year and I'm not sure what it is. We just moved back to Texas last year so it's their first year growing in Texas.

Is there a spray like fruit and vegetable spray that will prevent bugs from eating the leaves?

Post pics if you can but I would not worry about a few leaves getting eaten. I would only spray as a last resourt! I used neem oil last year and it may have harmed my plants.

Look for an insecticidal soap. Basically a natural soap that does not harm or poison the plants or you. However I found that $6 worth of lady bugs was a better and easier investment for my plants.

you can spray just about anything you want on the hops to get rid of the problem, but if you don't first diagnose what the problem is, you may and probably will be wasting your money and applying pesticides unnecessarily. if you have to spray 'something' on them without being able to identify the pest, please use something easy on the environment like some diluted dish soap which works on a lot of insect pests. not trying to be difficult, just realistic. grow on!

Neem oil spray works great and is organic. If aphids are your pest try ladybugs (only release them in the cool of the night or they will fly away)

How about a little star san in a spray bottle? Some have a diluted solution of that stuff around somewhere on brew day.

Back