My Hillbilly BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmack747

Reaction score
Since I don't have a big enough burner for my keggle I improvised some. Using a wood fired 55gal drum I was able to heat 13 gal from sparge to boil in 5 min. I can heat 13 gal from 55 to boil in 25 min.

Boil justa rollin :ban:
IMGP0630.JPG

Massive boil with a little boil over. oops didn't get the fermcap in in time:drunk:
IMGP0631.JPG

Throwin another log on the fire.
IMGP0633.JPG

And one last shot of the boil.
IMGP0634.JPG

For this it was a 10gal batch of my Maple Wheat. This beer uses all maple sap and no water and I will be priming with some maple syrup that I cooked down last weekend.

I actually thought of boiling over a wood fire, thought it may add a touch of smoke flavor to the beer. instead I smoked some pale malt in my smoker to get the flavor I was looking for, seeing yours I may do a batch over wood just for fun!

So what do you do at the end of the boil? Lift that full keggle of boiling wort out of the barrel?!?!?

So what do you do at the end of the boil? Lift that full keggle of boiling wort out of the barrel?!?!?

I do lift it out. I have the help of my dad and we lift it out. There is no damn way that I would lift it by my self. Than I chill like all ways with an ic.

When you're done boiling beer, you throw on a brisket right? Looks like a UDS to me.

Oh no.....I've seen enough Ugly Drum Smoker threads to last a lifetime. Doesn't anyone use stick burners anymore?

That one thread is MASSIVE!!! I'd love a stick burner, but I had a stainless 22.5" drum - so I have a WSM clone now by sandwiching the drum between a standard weber top and bottom. Still it's awesome he can put a weber lid on his beer rig to make bbq.

Back