Hydrometer Reading Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash24

Reaction score
I have a bad habit of forgetting to take an initial gravity reading prior to pitching my yeast. Is this a problem or am I actually taking this reading at the appropriate time?

You can take it right after you pitch your yeast, but if it's started fermneting, you won't be getting the actual OG.

i've done it a few times and the reading is always right about where i'd expect it to be, so i don't think there's anything wrong with it as the yeast probably haven't made a significant reduction in the number of sugars at that point.

Thanks..I did not think it would matter that much since fermentation had not begun yet. Just curious as my readings were slightly higher than the recipes reading range.

Take your reading before adding yeast. If you take it after adding yeast, there's the possibility that you'll drain some of the yeast... but what's a couple yeasties, there's like 18 million billion gazillion more floating around ;)... or... something like that.

Take your reading before adding yeast. If you take it after adding yeast, there's the possibility that you'll drain some of the yeast... but what's a couple yeasties, there's like 18 million billion gazillion more floating around ;)... or... something like that.

Since oxidation is good at that point, I put back the beer I use for the OG. With a big splash at that ;) Of course, you have to sanitize your hydrometer. But I hate wasting beer :mug:

Latest posts

Back