Couple of PM questions??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
Im going to do my first PM tomorrow and have a few questions. First off I will be mashing 2 lbs of American 2 row, 2lbs of Flaked oats, and .5lbs of crystal 60L. Basicly I just need to be sure I can just add the flaked oats to the mash without dong anything to them.
Also I am planning on doing this with a dutch oven and using the oven. I will let the oven get to 170 (lowest setting, and then click it off when I put the pot in it. I will get the water to 170 before adding grains. I will use 6.75 qts of water. I will sparge with 170* water.
When I sparge with the water do I collect the first amount of water and run it back through the grains? Also how much water shoould I use to sparge? Thats about it.
Does everything seem right? I dont want to screw this up. Thanks.

JohnnyK68 said:
Basicly I just need to be sure I can just add the flaked oats to the mash without dong anything to them.
When I sparge with the water do I collect the first amount of water and run it back through the grains? Also how much water shoould I use to sparge? Thats about it.
Does everything seem right? I dont want to screw this up. Thanks.
I believe you can add the oats to the mash but I've never used them before. A more expert opinion is needed here.

For the sparge you will need about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 gallons of water. (About 1/2 gallon per pound of grain)

You will need to get your mash itself to the proper mashing temps of between 149f and 158f and 170f as a strike water temp seems high.
Plugging into promash gives me this
For a doughing in temp of 152f and a grain temp of 68f, mashing a total of 4 pounds of grain with 12 quarts of water you'll need a strike temp of 157f depending on the thermal mass of your mash vessel.

You can add oats to the mash direct if it is minute oats. 2 pounds of oats is a lot of oats for 2 pounds of 2 row to convert. You sure you need all that 2 pounds of oats?

Flaked oats are fine for a direct mash. I'd give it a full hour & even stir it once or twice. Temperature is really critical with oats, you have to keep the mash right around 152F.

So, pre-heat the dutch oven, either with hot water or in your stove.

Back