First batch, forgot to take first hydrometer reading...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajl

Reaction score
So far so good with my first batch. I pitched yeast last Monday and fermentation started next day and is slowing down now. I was reading up on preparation for bottling and realized I was supposed to take a hydrometer reading when I pitched the yeast.
Would it be beneficial to test now? And what will it gain me?
Thanks

Wait a couple more weeks, then test to see if it's finished, there should be a projected final gravity with your kit instructions, somewhere below 1.020SG.

If you took a gravity reading now it will tell you what the gravity is now. As I am sure you know the reason to take the first reading is so that you something to compare the second reading too. This way you would know when the beer was done fermenting. The only way that a reading at this point would help you is if you knew where the beer was supposed to finish. If you brewed from a kit they should have provided it. However in my opinion bottling after only one week in the fermenter is too soon. Give those yeast some time to clean up after themselves.

No reason to now. Just wait a week or two to see when its done fermenting. You just won't know the exact alcohol percentage of your beer. No big deal. I rarely take hydrometer readings, before or after. Only if I think I haven't pitched enough yeast. Pretty much assume its done after 4 weeks in the primary.

Is it an extract batch? If so, and you topped off to the correct final volume, then your Og was exactly or close enough to what it said the og of your recipe was. SInce you are not mashing grains yourself, and therefore have to factor in efficiency of your mashing, like in AG brewing, it is almost foolproof.

Thanks, the plan was to bottle after 12-14 days so I could start another batch in the fermenter and have two beers ready for bike week in Daytona in five weeks. Doable? I'm not going to risk ruining the beer or anything. Also, I heard waiting more than 14 days could result in off flavors from the yeast?

Thanks, the plan was to bottle after 12-14 days so I could start another batch in the fermenter and have two beers ready for bike week in Daytona in five weeks. Doable? I'm not going to risk ruining the beer or anything. Also, I heard waiting more than 14 days could result in off flavors from the yeast?

um, didn't I just answer this where you asked it in another thread 5 minutes ago???

Also, I heard waiting more than 14 days could result in off flavors from the yeast?

My understanding is that this is what people used to think, but now people think that you can go 4 weeks without off flavors, and many go longer. And that there might actually be benefit to going longer than 2 weeks in the primary.

um, didn't I just answer this where you asked it in another thread 5 minutes ago???

Yes, thanks Revvy, sorry, I am not at all used to this kind of responsiveness in a forum. It's awesome!
Thanks for the help everyone.
I promise to search more and ask less too!

Yes, thanks Revvy, sorry, I am not at all used to this kind of responsiveness in a forum. It's awesome!
Thanks for the help everyone.
I promise to search more and ask less too!

Nah it was just weired, I THOUGHT it was you who asked in that other thread. But sometimes I actually have 2-3 tabs of hbt open at the same time, when I am searching for an anser or cutting and pasting one of mine in to a certain question. And I wasn't sure if I posted or had an open tab with you asking or not. The only clue was that you had phrased it a bit differently, in one you mentioned your instructions.....

Speaking of instructions, besides being based on old school thinking here is another reason why kit instruction want you to move your beer quickly,

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f29/hi-everyone-noob-homebrew-150254/#post1719328

Nah it was just weired, I THOUGHT it was you who asked in that other thread. But sometimes I actually have 2-3 tabs of hbt open at the same time, when I am searching for an anser or cutting and pasting one of mine in to a certain question. And I wasn't sure if I posted or had an open tab with you asking or not. The only clue was that you had phrased it a bit differently, in one you mentioned your instructions.....

Speaking of instructions, besides being based on old school thinking here is another reason why kit instruction want you to move your beer quickly,

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f29/hi-everyone-noob-homebrew-150254/#post1719328

Base jumping eh?? I'll leave it in the fermenter a bit longer and maybe take up another hobby!

Back