Brewmometer Upside Down??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedVR6

Reaction score
Hi guys,

With the nice weather today (FINALLY!) and perfect timing with a "work from home" day...:rolleyes: I began preparations to get my butt back into brewing. I cleaned out my converted keg and installed my plumbing (ball valve, Bazooka T, etc.) into its coupling. Got my my Brewmometer out and installed that as well (second coupling...see pic below). After applying the teflon I noticed that my thermo face is upside down when fully tightened. After several different attempts of screwing it in at various angles it still stops upside down. I did not want to mess with it anymore in fear of breaking the thermometer...I know it is just aesthetics...but I was wondering if the NPT on the thermometer can be adjusted in any way. Or should I just deal? (I could try it in the other coupling I guess.)

139341176_FE3vV-M.jpg

Thanks.

Maybe load the threads up with lots of teflon, hoping it will lock in before going upside down, or, just tightne it until it stop, ten back off until its upright, and leak test it.

Simple solution, turn it upside down. If every time you install it it's upside down the turn the keg upside down , install it and turn it right side up.

I don't tighten my thermometer all the way either. I tighten it just enough so that it is right side up but still snug. With thread tape I have never had any leaks.

Thanks guys.

I tried loading up the threads (maybe not enough) and that did not work....I think it may be still too loose if it were 'right side up'. I will have to test that while testing for leaks this weekend.

joejaz, that is the first thing I did thinking that would work...but didn't. :(

Gah...these little things make me nutso.

How many turns can you get the thermometer in before it's secure? If you're talking more than 4 or 5, I would definitely try loosening it a half turn.

Also, try using less teflon tape and see if you can get it to go farther...

See how many turns it take to botton out witout the tape, then load it with about 4-6 wraps of tape and tighten it 1 to 1 1/2 less turns than that untill it lines up.

Hmm. I think I need to take the teflon off and see how how it sits when fully secure (I can't remember since I did not have it in when working on the keg yesterday). Then work from there. With the existing teflon installation I get about 3/4 of a turn to fully secure the thermo (from when it starts getting tight). I think backing it out 1/2 a turn where it would be upright...won't provide a secure install.

Test test test. ;)

[bkwudz I posted right when you did. Will do.]

RedVR6 said:
Hmm. I think I need to take the teflon off and see how how it sits when fully secure (I can't remember since I did not have it in when working on the keg yesterday). Then work from there. With the existing teflon installation I get about 3/4 of a turn to fully secure the thermo (from when it starts getting tight). I think backing it out 1/2 a turn where it would be upright...won't provide a secure install.

Test test test. ;)

[bkwudz I posted right when you did. Will do.]

Get the hell out of my head!:cross:

What about adding washers. I know what you're going through. Ient crazy trying to fix a siphon problem on pickup tube. And for the money you spent on that thermometer I would want it to sit perfect.

Agreed....and little things like that make me nuts. heh.

I don't think washers would help at all. The thermometer does not screw in all the way flush with the coupling.

I was thinking a locknut would be cool but the threads need to be tight to seal. If it gets close to upright with no tape, add just a single wrap and crank it. With enough tape, it doesn't have to be super tight either but just don't back off.

Bobby; I must be lucky having NPT taps and dies 1/8" to 1", 0-80 to 1" NF, NC, National Special and metric. A lathe, Bridgeport mill, large rotary table, Miller 350 Synchrowave Tig, Miller 251 Mig w/30A spoolgun, Hypertherm Max 20 Plasma, Greenlee horizontal bandsaw, Milwaukee portable bandsaw with every power tool made by Milwaukee including a magnetic base drill press. Ridgid 700 threader with dies 1/2" to 2". Yes over 40 years busting butt and collecting tools to support my mechanical hobby madness. Just need a total back replacement so I can enjoy life again, cane and pain pills suck.
Sorry got way off topic here.

Since your not putting anything under pressure, try this.

Remove all the tape from the threads, screw the thermometer in counting how many turns it takes to get it tight, then subtract how much you have to back it out the get it straight. Then remove the thermometer add silicon to the threads in the female fitting and to the male threads, screw in the thermometer until it is straight and let dry for at least 48 hours. Silicon will make a secure but non permanent seal so you can remove the thermometer is needed.

Linc

Did not get a chance to work on the thermo this weekend. Seems SWMBO failed to tell me we had plans all weekend. :(

Silicon...interesting. Did not think of using that.

Ok...got it. I wound up loading the threads up with teflon after about three add'l applications of teflon it is in there pretty tight and right side up. I don't anticipate any leaks from there. :p

(I should have just done this last week...heh)

Thanks for all your input guys. :rockin:

I'd watch out threading stainless ito stainless with out some type of lubricant on the threads (teflon tape or something else). Any small burrs or over tightening may cause galling, basically spot welding that thing in there.

Back