I feel like a mad scientist!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trev12110

Reaction score
well it's almost 2 A.M here on the west coast and I just finished making some black cherry apfelwein and a blueberry mead. The whole time I was mixing my ingredients I couldn't help but feel like a was a mad scientist that did experiments in the dead of night :D Does anyone else get this feeling? Am I the only late late night brewer?

I brew late when I start late, but you've got me beat at 2am. But I could get up at 5am East Coast time and be brewing while you're sleeping.

Maybe we can organize a 24-hours-of-brewing marathon where brewers aroung the globe tag team each other.

Anyway I am most reminded of Chemistry and Bio classes from high school when I brew. Same toys and principles. Not quite a mad scientist but a scientist none the less.

Surround your evil laboratory with things like an Erlenmeyer flask, pipettes, and bottles of things with names like potassium metabisulfate, calcium chloride hydrate, and isinglass. It adds to the Dr. Frankenstein feel.

if I'm fermenting in a glass carboy and can see it churning in there, I wrap my arms around it and stroke it and do one of 2 things.

say, "we loves our preciousssssssssssssssssssssssssss"

or

laugh maniacally and yell, "it's alive! it's ALIVE!"

then I sniff the airlock and go back about my business

And there's a swell of dramatic orchestral music as lightning flashes in the background ...

This thread made me laugh. I was up till 3 a.m. mountain time on Wednesday pressing one batch of juice and bottling a finished batch of cider. All the tubes and buckets and flasks and bottles reminded me of the early seasons of Breaking Bad. And while I like the ease and convenience of using a brew bucket for my primary, man I LOVE watching the fermentation take place in a glass carboy or better bottle. And the smells... I love making cider!

This thread made me laugh. I was up till 3 a.m. mountain time on Wednesday pressing one batch of juice and bottling a finished batch of cider. All the tubes and buckets and flasks and bottles reminded me of the early seasons of Breaking Bad. And while I like the ease and convenience of using a brew bucket for my primary, man I LOVE watching the fermentation take place in a glass carboy or better bottle. And the smells... I love making cider!

making my first cider this weekend, but it's pretty much my LHBS owner's No Bells or Whistles recipe - just juice & brown sugar

I am NOT the mad scientist type at all, but neither am I the strict, by-the-book type.

advancement of any science, I think, involves both kinds and all kinds in between.

evolution AND revolution

For me, the witching hour is the absolute best! No kids needing to be taken to practice (pick a practice, any practice), no "when are you going to be done" from the SWMBO, typically very little wind (I brew outside)..........Down right peaceful/enjoyable.......
It does however increase the "just stopping to see whats going on" visits from the local police, but recently got one of em into brewing, so even thats got an up side!

Back