Nelson Sauvin hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
These are totally unavailable in reasonable bulk in UK, and USA shops are keeping theirs for USA brewers. It ain't fair!!!

Well, look at it this way. At least you don't have to pay a ridiculous price for hops. I saw them at the store the other week for a mere $5.99 an ounce.

This made me write a recipe which calls for Nelson Sauvin.

For a 19 liter recipe

4,5 kg of Pale Ale
450 grams of Caramunich III
230 grams of Biscuit Malt

20 grams of Nelson Sauvin (11,50%) at 45 minutes
20 grams of Nelson Sauvin (11,50%) at 20 minutes
40 grams of Pacifica (5,6%)

American Ale II

Now I just gotta get around to brewing it...

I've got 8 oz sitting vacuum sealed in my freezer. I hate them alone but lightly mixed with other more citrusy hops like Amarillo and Galaxy they are ok. I've tried to give them away locally but no one wants them. No lie...

This made me write a recipe which calls for Nelson Sauvin.

For a 19 liter recipe

4,5 kg of Pale Ale
450 grams of Caramunich III
230 grams of Biscuit Malt

20 grams of Nelson Sauvin (11,50%) at 45 minutes
20 grams of Nelson Sauvin (11,50%) at 20 minutes
40 grams of Pacifica (5,6%)

American Ale II

Now I just gotta get around to brewing it...
personally this recipe is a bit of a waste of NS. you won't get any flavor or aroma from the 45 min addition, and just a little from the 20 minute. you don't specify when you're adding the pacifica, but assuming that it's at 0 minutes then this batch will mostly taste and smell of those.

you want to add you hops in the last 15 minutes to get flavor and aroma out of them. if you need to keep your current quantities (because that's what you've already bought), i'd consider adding 15g of NS at 60 mins for bittering, and then the rest in the last 10 mins (say 12.5g at 10 mins and 12.5g at 1 min or flamout). better yet, get some other less expensive hops for bittering at 60 mins and save all the NS for the last 15 mins of the boil (ex: 10g at 15, 10, 5 and 0 mins each).

personally this recipe is a bit of a waste of NS. you won't get any flavor or aroma from the 45 min addition, and just a little from the 20 minute. you don't specify when you're adding the pacifica, but assuming that it's at 0 minutes then this batch will mostly taste and smell of those.

you want to add you hops in the last 15 minutes to get flavor and aroma out of them. if you need to keep your current quantities (because that's what you've already bought), i'd consider adding 15g of NS at 60 mins for bittering, and then the rest in the last 10 mins (say 12.5g at 10 mins and 12.5g at 1 min or flamout). better yet, get some other less expensive hops for bittering at 60 mins and save all the NS for the last 15 mins of the boil (ex: 10g at 15, 10, 5 and 0 mins each).

BS. If you just do this beer with nelson at 45, you will be able to tell. It's not all bitterness. I'm not sure where that started but if you have ever brewed a beer with just a 60 min addition that isn't overpowerly malt based you can taste the hop that was used. I've done this many times and it is indeed contributing flavors but not as powerful as say a 10 minute addition. Commercial brewers use 45 and 30 minute additions all the time, suppose they just didn't want to add less hops at 60 or 90 and save a few bucks?

Fair, smair.......So what? To the victors go the spoils. We kicked your redcoated arses in 1776, we can do whatever the hell we want to you guys. ;)

libertyhop-57082.jpg

Last hop addition was 10 minutes, and any hop additions are subject to change. I would also be dry hopping, which I didn't add.

And claiming that a 45 minute additon will have NO flavor or aroma is... weird. But I'm guessing that was just bad phrasing. While it isn't common with a 45 minute bittering addition it's not wrong.

The purpose of a 45 minute bittering addition is to achieve a softer, more aromatic hop profile.

But I am thinking of having a very small 60 minute addition. And maybe combining both hops in a 0 minute addition. Recipies are never finished, are they? :p

I've got 8 oz sitting vacuum sealed in my freezer. I hate them alone but lightly mixed with other more citrusy hops like Amarillo and Galaxy they are ok. I've tried to give them away locally but no one wants them. No lie...

Same here. I hate them by themselves as well. I cant find anyone that wants them here either.

Fair, smair.......So what? To the victors go the spoils. We kicked your redcoated arses in 1776, we can do whatever the hell we want to you guys. ;)

libertyhop-57082.jpg

Yeah but remember that where those hops are coming from is still part of the commonwealth :D
And on that note I just used up my last 40g of NS, going to pick some more up on Friday NZ$2.30 (so about US$1.80) per once :D

Did a single hop PA with NS a couple weeks ago and it's conditioning in the keg. Had about a gallon of leftover beer in the fermenter so I filled up a jug and am drinking it as I type...this hop is totally unique...the beer is green and somewhat un-carbonated but the viney-ness and surreal floral qualities of the strain are something to be recognized. It's a hop I can see myself playing with for quite some time. Too bad it's not available everywhere for a decent price.

What is it about the hop that some of you don't like, if you wouldn't mind being more specific? I ask because I have a pound of them on preorder. I could still change my order if need be, but I've been hearing very polarized opinions on this hop. The only hop I've found I don't like is chinook, because it is so harsh it's like chewing on pine needles. I know some people don't like Citra as well, though I like it fine.

What is it about the hop that some of you don't like, if you wouldn't mind being more specific? I ask because I have a pound of them on preorder. I could still change my order if need be, but I've been hearing very polarized opinions on this hop. The only hop I've found I don't like is chinook, because it is so harsh it's like chewing on pine needles. I know some people don't like Citra as well, though I like it fine.

Heres my best answer. And I've had them alone from a local brewery Toppling Goliath in a beer called Zeelander IPA that was great but whenever I used them they initally come out like an overpowering body odor smell. Then as they soften they are quite earthy and resinous- a little dank and very fruity in a weird way...maybe gooseberry. As they age the flavor gets better but it isn't a great stand alone hop when I use it. Mixed lightly with other hops they are ok.

jlpred55 said:
Heres my best answer. And I've had them alone from a local brewery Toppling Goliath in a beer called Zeelander IPA that was great but whenever I used them they initally come out like an overpowering body odor smell. Then as they soften they are quite earthy and resinous- a little dank and very fruity in a weird way...maybe gooseberry. As they age the flavor gets better but it isn't a great stand alone hop when I use it. Mixed lightly with other hops they are ok.

Body Odor.. Oniony like Summit? Or like a cat piss smell like Simcoe?

Like I said, just kegged up a batch and it isn't conditioned by any means so ill let you know what I think when it's ready. My first impression wasn't BO-like at all, just like a citrusy and white wine-like aroma mixed with a warm earthiness. Got zero pine, but I guess a tiny bit if dank...which could attribute to a BO-like affection. I mean, what about the words "earthy" and "dank" don't slightly remind a person of body odor? Onion? Maybe. I'll have to give it another go when I get home.

Wow. Body odor? Seriously?

Never experienced that and I've used NS in at least ten batches and had at least another ten commercial beers using them.

In my experience, it is one of the most pungent of all hops. It has a powerful character that can easily overpower other hops if used in equal amounts. To me, that character perhaps most closely resembles a very fruity elder berry or elder flower character. And, to back this up, you can also even see brewers like Thornbridge in the UK and others pairing NS up with elder flowers in beer, using the actual flowers in addition to NS. NS is more pleasant than actual elder flowers, IMHO. And here's the thing: To me, it doesn't have the same character as when you add elder flowers to beer. It has more of the character of when the flowers are still alive and flowering and giving off that strong aroma.

I know some local guys that don't like it as well, but for me they rock. They're totally unique. They taste like an American hop in a lot of ways, but they have a character I've never encountered from any other hop.

To get a handle on them, make a single hop beer. Once you know the character, you can go from there. I've found that they also play very well with many, many American hops. If you don't want them to dominate, you can use them at 1/2 to 1/3 of the amount that you used for an American hop like Cascade or whatever. You'll get some of it coming through, but it won't overwhelm the other hops. If you use in equal amounts, as I said, it WILL dominate.

Same here. I hate them by themselves as well. I cant find anyone that wants them here either.
seriously? i haven't had an opportunity to try NS yet, so if you are looking to give them away please let me know. i'm here to help :mug:

OMG, I hadn't had anything with Nelson Sauvin yet and was VERY interested in trying them based on the description of them having a wine-like aroma and taste. However, I just had Widmer's Drifter Pale Ale, which uses NS to finish and I have to say - my first smell and taste reaked of body odor and a bit of onion. I don't know whether to attribute this to the NS, the Summit (which I know exhibits oniony taste and aroma based on personal experience), or the combination of them both.

Can someone recommend some other commercial brews that us NS to try (preferably a single hopped example)? I'm very curious now to see if it is the NS that I don't care for before I try to purchase some.

Summit tastes like garlic, onions, and hippy pits to me but in a good way ;) definitely the summit on that.

OMG, I hadn't had anything with Nelson Sauvin yet and was VERY interested in trying them based on the description of them having a wine-like aroma and taste. However, I just had Widmer's Drifter Pale Ale, which uses NS to finish and I have to say - my first smell and taste reaked of body odor and a bit of onion. I don't know whether to attribute this to the NS, the Summit (which I know exhibits oniony taste and aroma based on personal experience), or the combination of them both.

Can someone recommend some other commercial brews that us NS to try (preferably a single hopped example)? I'm very curious now to see if it is the NS that I don't care for before I try to purchase some.

I doubt it's available where you live, but you never know, so figured I'd post it.

Nelson Saison from 8 Wired Brewing in New Zealand is awesome. Says it has a touch of Motueka, but NS definitely has the upper hand here.

http://8wired.co.nz/our-brews/saison-sauvin-0

Also:

I used it recently to dry hop a Belgian IPA that had heavy doses of East Kent Goldings and Tettnanger for aroma and flavor. The NS is heavily dominant and completely awesome. Great hop for dry hopping. No onion here, no body odor, just fruity hoppy goodness.

My favourite beer that has loads of Nelson Sauvin is Brewdog's 5 AM saint.

No body odour or oniony smell in that beer (or any that I've brewed with NS for that matter), but neither is there any white wine like character either.
It's a terrific hop. Hard to get, but worth it (but not at $5/ ounce).

I'll definitely have to try another brew with NS - it really sounds like something I'd like and I'm hoping it is just the Summit in the Widmer that I didn't care for.

Back