Super clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zstewart123

Reaction score
Has anyone used superclear? I have an American lager in secondary for 6 weeks now and when i did a hydrometer test I noticed it was very cloudy. I am planning on racking it to a keg soon and wanted y'alls opinion on this. A friend of mine has some superclear that he hasn't used and offered it to me. Any help would be great.

zstewart123 said:
Has anyone used superclear? I have an American lager in secondary for 6 weeks now and when i did a hydrometer test I noticed it was very cloudy. I am planning on racking it to a keg soon and wanted y'alls opinion on this. A friend of mine has some superclear that he hasn't used and offered it to me. Any help would be great.

Never heard of it. Is it a food grade clearing agent?

I use unflavored gelatin with pretty darn good results. You could dissolve 2 teaspoons to a cup of water…let sit for 30 minutes to bloom, bring to 180 degrees and then let cool and add it to your keg when you rack. I usually add it to my secondary, but if you’re kegging, that will work too.

Along with a good 2 weeks in the chiller, and you should get some pretty clear beer.

HappyFri_4.jpg

Thanks. He used in in winemaking so it definately is food grade.
Maybe I will add it tomorrow and just wait until it clears to keg it. That way I am guessing I will have minimal garbage on the bottom of the keg.

I've used SuperKleer in wine but never in beer. I think whatever finings you use depends on the cause of the cloudiness. If it's chill haze or protein haze, gelatin should work fine. Superkleer will probably work. Some hazes are caused by negatively charged particles and some, like proteins, are positively charged. Finings like isinglass are used for negatively charged particles. Superkleer has both types of clarifiers in it, so it should clear it no matter the cause. I would be concerned that it would strip out some of the flavor, though, since it's such a powerful fining. Maybe not, but I would still think more about this.

Maybe more time at around 34 degrees would clear it.

zstewart123 said:
…. I will have minimal garbage on the bottom of the keg…

Opinions differ on this…but I raised my dip tubes from the bottom of the keg by about ½ inch…either by bending a bent tube more sharply, or cutting off ½ inch off the end of a straight tube.

Well I lowered the freezer to 34 and voila the beer is rather clear. I kegged it Sunday and had a taste. WOW!! That was some damned fine brew if I do say so myself. Thanks for all yalls help.:mug:

Back