What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
I use Rapidform and Mastecam to build my models. Rapidform takes care of the STL files generated by the 3D scanner. Mastercam takes care of the rest. I have wanted to integrate Solidworks into my work but I can't make myself break the learning curve.
99% of our products have an organic fixtures of some sort so practically all my models have to be built with surfaces. Rapidform can generate surfaces right on top of the STL as well.
I occasionally use ZBrush to digitally sculpt parts but I don't get to use that as much as I want to.

I also used Mastercam when I was a machine tool programmer (mostly milling centers). Solidworks has surfaces as well, but like you said...it has a learning curve. I have heard many say that it's definitely not intuitive! I have used it for quite a while now and I am used to it. The first few months were rough though. Sounds like you have an interesting job.

Civil PE here. Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO. Tap the Rockies! (but only until you learn how to brew your own)

Locomotive Engineer. Ya I know, I don't have a big degree from a fancy college, but I get to drive a BIG friggin machine at 60 miles an hour and blow the whistle, and piss people off all day long:)

Locomotive Engineer. Ya I know, I don't have a big degree from a fancy college, but I get to drive a BIG friggin machine at 60 miles an hour and blow the whistle, and piss people off all day long:)

We met a train engineer on a cruise we took a couple of years ago. He and his Fiance were at our dinner table. He had the BEST stories and was a lot of fun to be around at the bars late at night. He was Larry The Cable Guy to a T, maybe a tad more hysterical.

Not a job I could handle long term with all of the long hours and time away from home. But I would love it for a week or two. Kudos to you for being the guy that moves ALL of those goods.

Not an engineer... doctor here. Although my favorite patients are engineers lol. They always tell me how certain devices SHOULD work. They're brilliant.

Not an engineer either. I'm a corporate Financial Analyst (not an advisor), and I work with lots of engineers.

i guess my title says im technically an "engineer"..

I'm a Field Service Engineer for a company that manufactures Medical X-ray and Mammography screening and biopsy equipment. Primarily a Women's Health type of company...

Environmental Engineer - Virginia Tech 2002. I'm an engineering consultant working for a water & wastewater controls/systems manufacturer.

People in technical field's of expertise are well suited to hobbies like homebrewing because we are problem solvers and like seeing projects go from scratch to successful completion. Most other engineers I know are also do-it-yourselfers like me. We tend to work on our own cars and do our own home repairs.

Have my bachelors in Aerospace Engineering, but my profession doesnt use it. Also Im a very avid cook, friends call me a chef, but I just enjoy cooking.

Have my bachelors in Aerospace Engineering, but my profession doesnt use it. Also Im a very avid cook, friends call me a chef, but I just enjoy cooking.

I'm also an avid cook. So much so that the wife doesn't normally attempt to cook for fear or criticism!

I'm curious how many homebrewers also love to cook. If you like to cook, homebrewing comes very easy.

I am not convinced. ;)

I think do it yourselfers, or foodies, or some other denominator connects us all (or most of us)

Experimental psychologist and student. I've dabbled in cell and microbiology, software too. Spent a summer working as a barista.

My corporate job title is safety engineer. But all I do is inspect for compliance with osha regulations.

BS in Occupational Safety

Not an engineer but I work closely with them. Major in Geology. Minor in wandering the around the desert drunk.

Have a B.S. in Comp Science. I am a Network Engineer by title. I do not think of myself as an actual engineer.

I'm in procurement now but I used to supervise the mainenance at a 1100+ room hotel. While I still view the world through a mechanical, system-centric lens, I like the softer math that I do now.

BSME from West Point.

I don't do that much engineering work now, I manage people.

I am a 'do-it-yourselfer', but I don't cook unless I am forced to.

Latest posts

Back