Dry Stout - need hop recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imtrashed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning to do a simple dry stout tomorrow. I'm thinking:

7 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs Flaked Barley
1 lb Roasted Barley

Wondering whether I should go EKG or Cluster hops, or something else. Thoughts?

Also, the color on this as determind by Beersmith seems on the lighter end of the style's spectrum. Am I OK with this recipe? Thanks.

I'd do something like this:

6 lbs Marris Otter
1 lbs Flaked Barley
0.5 lbs Roasted Barley
0.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.5 lbs C60L
2 oz Black Malt

0.5 oz Columbus 15.5% (35 IBU)

English Ale Yeast like London Ale or Thames Valley

OG: 1045
FG: 1.010
SRM: 38
ABV: 4.5%

The recipe looks fine to me, and I brewed one with the same grain bill a few months ago.
As for the hops, any variety of Golding or Fuggles (including Willamette) should be fine.

-a.

Just placed my LHBS order for pickup at the bar after work. Edited my original slightly.

6.5 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs Flaked Barley
1 lb Roasted Barley
0.5 lb Black Patent

Going with 2.25 oz EKG at 60 minutes.

Using Rogue's Pacman yeast. Hoping for something dry. Plan on mashing at lower end, maybe 150 for 75 minutes.

First time not using an ingredients kit with recipe.

Also, the color on this as determind by Beersmith seems on the lighter end of the style's spectrum. Am I OK with this recipe? Thanks.

That is strange....

I used the same recipe and I believe Beer Alchemy put it beyond the darker side of the color range.

I have never used Beersmith, so this is just a guess, but could you have entered US Roasted Barley instead of the UK Roasted Barley?

For example, at Brewmaster's Warehouse, Breiss (US) Roasted Barley is listed as 300 SRM, but the Crisp (UK) Roasted Barley is 550 SRM

That is strange....

I used the same recipe and I believe Beer Alchemy put it beyond the darker side of the color range.

I have never used Beersmith, so this is just a guess, but could you have entered US Roasted Barley instead of the UK Roasted Barley?

For example, at Brewmaster's Warehouse, Breiss (US) Roasted Barley is listed as 300 SRM, but the Crisp (UK) Roasted Barley is 550 SRM

Yes, Beersmith put my original recipe above at 24.5 SRM, when a Dry Stout should be somewhere between 25-40 SRM. The Roasted Barley used was in fact 300 SRM, which is why it was so low. With the Black Patent, I'm up to about 36 (with 300 SRM US Roasted Barley). I think my LHBS carries US and not UK Roasted Barley. But either way, I'll be happy (if UK, then my color will fall at about 44 SRM).

I'm in Bedminster, but work is Passaic, so I drive past the Oranges on my way home. I buy everything online too, because BWH is only 2 days ground, but I could use a LHBS if an emergency ever came up.

U Brew (the homebrew supply store) at Gaslight is only open while I'm at work, but you can call during the day to place an order, and they'll set it aside for pickup at the bar. Which always gives me a reason to sample whatever beer they're serving on tap (typically 4 or 5 of their own). It's a really convenient way to pick up supplies, since it's ready to grab and go. You can check out their catalog here... http://www.gaslightbrewery.net/u-brew.

Dark grains have a wide range of SRM from malster to maltser and the flavor contribution changes just as much. If you want to nail that roasted edge with you really need to use the same things over and over. Don't just use the SRM that whatever calculator you use has.

I'm going to be brewing a dry stout in about two weeks and am considering using Northern Brewer exclusively.
Any thoughts?

My current batch is Northern Brewer for Bittering and Kent Golding for Aroma. Found a winner. This is one of my favorites!

NB pellets I bought had an IBU of 12.75.

Back