Ferment in my fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
I will be doing a Kolsch. Will be my first one in the making. Temps in my apartment are getting high here so its hard to really control the temp expecially that I am down a cooler for right now. I look at Wyeast website (Temperature Range: 56-70° ) for this kolsch strain. I just check some liquid in my fridge to see what the temp was and it ran around 52 degrees. So, I am wondering if it would ferment in there. as long as my fermentor will fit inside which i think it will. anyone done this. Or should i just let it ferment at the ambient temps which can reach to around 78 sometimes now. from what the fermometer reads.:mug:

ok just check it better and the temp of my fridge settles out at 48.5 degrees prob too cold for this yeast to do its thing....

you could get a temp controller for the fridge so you can set it for whatever you want. a few of the vendors here sell them if your lhbs doesn't. IIRC, you can get an analog one for around $40.

that or grab a big plastic container and stick your fermenter in it with water and use bottles of ice to keep it down.

In my experience, a good kolsh requires some good temp control. You may want to queue up something else until you can get some good temp control. You should be able to get a craigslist freezer and an analog temp controller for under $100.

yeah that sucks. i already started brewin this. i might be able to put in someones basement i guess.

I use the wyeast and white labs
Kolsch and Alt strains most frequently. I ferment in my basement between 64-70 F and have enjoyed the results.

What yeast do you have? If it's not too late you could look at a lager yeast which would love 48.5 degrees.

Could be fun to put it in your fridge for 12 hours...take it out for 12...put it in for 12...might get you exactly the temp you need!

Keep your fermenter in a tub of water, put a t shirt or two over it that are soaked, and rig up a fan to get some evaporative cooling going. You can also take a few 1 gallon milk jugs, fill them with water, freeze them, and put one in every 12 hours or so into your tub to cool it. I've made great Kolschs (Kolsches?) without a temperature controlled fermentation chamber before, though I now have one and it makes things easier.

Nice. I got it in my fridge and turned the temp down. No worries since there isn't much food to go bad or anything like that.the fermometer read 54 sometimes 52 which is not too bad its got a big krausen head on top so all looks good. I wish I had a small dorm size fridge that could fit a normal carboy

I tryed a fridge without a temp controller for my first lager. Was unable to hold temps properly and I got a nice buttery popcorn oktoberfest even with a diacetyl rest. IMO if you are going to put in the time for a lager, $70 for a temp controller is well worth the investment.

Latest posts

Back