The bads days in hop growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rniles

Reaction score
Well my hops survived months of trials that included wind and rain storms, aphids and flea beetles, and came through without any diseases or fungi.

Harvested my Willamettes and Mt. Hoods with the bulk of my hops, the Cascades soon to be picked any day now.

Then my neighbor contracts a guy to come out and spray his cedar fence with some "oil". Of course, I didn't spot him until he was almost finished but the spray was going EVERYWHERE ..including on myself and on my soon-to-be picked Cascade hops.

I went out to see what was going on and in the midst of all the oil vapor from the spray gun, he says "I should be wearing a mask".

I told him about my hops and that they were close to picking and I didn't want the spray he was using on the fence to get on the hops.

He said it wouldn't do anything but I told him (again) that I will be using the hops in a beer in a few days.

"Well if it tastes like oil, you'll know why", he actually says.

@#$%#$@&*!!

Its a good thing hes licensed and bonded.

New paint job on your car, truck, boat, camper, house, new roof, new windows new gutters, Your apples, peaches, vegetable garden, On&On And yes your hops

The painter is responsible for ALL damage caused by over spray. Thats the law

It sure would be a shame if a bunch of trub and spent grains showed up uncontained in the cab of that guy's truck.

Its a good thing hes licensed and bonded.

New paint job on your car, truck, boat, camper, house, new roof, new windows new gutters, Your apples, peaches, vegetable garden, On&On And yes your hops

The painter is responsible for ALL damage caused by over spray. Thats the law

That is true in most states.

A friend who started a 1 acre field had to turn a herbicide sprayer into the DNR. He was spraying something on the cornfield next to his hops. It was a windy day and this guy was moving way to fast. The herbicide was going everywhere including the hops. Several crowns died and many more were sick. No one likes to be a tattle-tale, but if you don't turn him in, he'll just damage someone else's house, garden, truck...and hops.

I agree with turning him in. I'd also go talk to your neighbor & let him know what's going on, just to keep things "friendly" in the neighborhood.

Well I went out this morning to try to ascertain if any damage has been done. I've checked the side of the house, the car, the boat, and of course the hops (that were about 10 to 12 feet away from him) ...so far I can't tell that anything has that "oil" on it. He had mentioned he was using "Penofin oil" ...all I could find is this: http://www.penofin.com/ ...and they have different kinds. Don't know which kind he was using.

I've smelled the hops and tried to smell the leaves ...I can't smell any of that spray from the hop plants (although I can still smell it in the air).

I frequently have to thin out the Skunk population on my farm,if u want a dead one to put in this guys car or house I will ship it free of charge ! I would hose them off,maybe a light insectasidal soap and lots more hose water. I also recommend having your neighbor over for a BBQ,just do not forget to put out a nice dip for chips made w cat food Cheers Glen

Back